is there a Tutorial on using PLUGINS on vocal recording track INPUT?

Pathfinder

9 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

Ok dumb question-Do you mean on the way in or in he FX bin after? As far as sounding better. Feel like an idiot!

Dont sweat it. No I mean after you have recorded the vocal with the tamed effect on. 

You first record the wet vocal where you tamed the peaks and harsh SUBTLE is key here. Aim for a gain reduction between 0.0db and -0.5dB of compression and print that to the actual vocal. You dont want to squash the vocal going in. 

Then, do the actual compression to get the vocal to sit right in the mix with additional compression IF needed. 

Edited by Will.

4 minutes ago, Will. said:

Dont sweat it. No I mean after you have recorded the vocal with the tamed effect on. 

OK so, as statedt he vocal sounds OK, better than when we started. BUT, I thought it was because of the printed track. But when I MUTE the printed track there is no difference at all in what I a hearing. But when I look at the de-esser and compressor in that track they are reacting to the vocal. If I solo the printed track it is LOW and LIFELESS? 

Guess I didn't learn as much as I thought I did. Maybe I'll stick to the end production compression and all.

Edited by Pathfinder

1 minute ago, Pathfinder said:

OK so, as statedt he vocal sounds OK, better than when we started. BUT, I thought it was because of the printed track. But when I MUTE the printed track there is no difference at all in what I a hearing. But when I look at the de-esser and compressor in that track they are reacting to the vocal. If I solo the printed track it is LOW and LIFELESS? 

Guess I didn't learn as much as I thought I did. Maybe I'll stick to the end production compression and all.

🤣 Practice is key here. Thats why we use EQ to bring it back to life. Dont compress at this stage - only tame when printing it. 

Make sure all your Pro Channel effects are off. Mine is totally disabled - meaning the module has been removed. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

Ok dumb question-Do you mean on the way in or in he FX bin after? As far as sounding better. Feel like an idiot!

After

One further point which might or might not have been addressed above - unless you are really comfortable setting compessor thresholds, ratio, attack & release, you might end up damaging an otherwise perfect take. With the inherent headroom of 24 bit recording you don't NEED to commit to "tape" so early in the process.

Your mileage may vary

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Will. said:

🤣 Practice is key here. Thats why we use EQ to bring it back to life. Dont compress at this stage - only tame when printing it. 

Make sure all your Pro Channel effects are off. Mine is totally disabled - meaning the module has been removed. 

Got it! Thanks again.

1 minute ago, Bristol_Jonesey said:

After

One further point which might or might not have been addressed above - unless you are really comfortable setting compessor thresholds, ratio, attack & release, you might end up damaging an otherwise perfect take. With the inherent headroom of 24 bit recording you don't NEED to commit to "tape" so early in the process.

Your mileage may vary

You assumed correctly . I am NOT comfortable with compressor controls. I have been reading and watching different videos on vocal compression.  I need more and I will. Thanks

29 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

You assumed correctly . I am NOT comfortable with compressor controls. I have been reading and watching different videos on vocal compression.  I need more and I will. Thanks

In that case I would HIGHLY recommend recording "dry". Just leave enough headroom so you don't clip on the way in.

Aim for peaks somewhere in the -6dB to -12dB range.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bristol_Jonesey said:

In that case I would HIGHLY recommend recording "dry". Just leave enough headroom so you don't clip on the way in.

Appreciate the input. I will do that but I will continue to learn about Vocal compression- I am retired so all I do is pay my guitars and record    🙂 

BTW noticed, I have the same Focusrite. Does much more than I need....Still learning that to since I used an Echo Layla 3G forever.

Edited by Pathfinder
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Bristol_Jonesey said:

Just remember you do get ghost peaks as well and It wont be audible until you do your processing. Even when recording at levels of -18dB you get ghost peaks that hangs around at -3dB or -6dB. Its the flaw of the digital age, Your levels might look spot on with the Daws meters, but within the plugin it will show something different. 

• Like 1

Not sure what compressor you're using, but for vocal, and if you're somewhat compressor illiterate, I would suggest the PC2A Lever module in your ProChannel.  That's an LA-2A type compressor. REALLY easy to use.  Mainly concern yourself with the peak reduction knob and a gain makeup knob.  And its a classic compressor that you'll probably love the sound of on your vocal.  You've been hearing it your whole life.  Don't be shy with it.  Heavy compression with it can sound really good on a vocal.  You can even stack them in ProChannel and take a little off with each - the way someone earlier mentioned.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2023 at 12:12 PM, HOOK said:

Not sure what compressor you're using, but for vocal, and if you're somewhat compressor illiterate, I would suggest the PC2A Lever module in your ProChannel.  That's an LA-2A type compressor. REALLY easy to use.  Mainly concern yourself with the peak reduction knob and a gain makeup knob.  And its a classic compressor that you'll probably love the sound of on your vocal.  You've been hearing it your whole life.  Don't be shy with it.  Heavy compression with it can sound really good on a vocal.  You can even stack them in ProChannel and take a little off with each - the way someone earlier mentioned.

I definitely a, somewhat compressor Illiterate than you very much. I am very well versed on SINGING lead vocals and playing guitars---Thanks I will check that out tomorrow o sure. Haven't been using the Pro channel much since i got all the Izotope and waves stuff. But I remember I grabbed manny add on PC stuff  when they were available-I do miss it actually and thank you for the suggestion about he PC2A Lever module.

Have to add this to my notebook of CW tips  🙂 

Thanks