SOUND STILL LEFT AFTER DELETE

Michael Bauer

Recently, I've noticed (and this doesn't happen all of the time) that after I delete a portion of a track, it doesn't appear anymore visually, but the part I deleted is still audible.  I have post nasal drip issue and sometimes after doing a vocal line(s), I cough.   I highlight that portion, then right click and delete.  It shouldn't be there audible anymore, but it is.  I've even tried cutting a small portion in front or behind it then drag it away, but it's still there. I've soloed or muted other tracks just to make sure exactly where the sound is since I do all of instruments one at a time to make sure the isn't copied onto another track somehow.   Any ideas?  The deleted part is in the orange track. 

IMG_4229.jpg

OutrageProductions - Thanks for reply.  I don't use comp very much, but your reply was definitely a good place to start.   I checked the lanes and they were clear.  More than likely going to redo the vocals anyway.  Not happy with them, but since this has happened a few times on other projects, I'd like to know how to avoid it - other than turn away from the mic if I have to cough. 

16 minutes ago, Andres Medina said:

Out of curiosity: is this your cough?

image.png.0b72a1058086611246d3a5253c493938.png

Exactly what I was thinking. Your track peak levels are in the danger zone too. 
But if you solo just that track there should be no sound. 
If there is then it has to be a lane. 
Another place to look is the track manager  and see if there’s  any hidden tracks.  

• Like 1

Nope, but I can easily see why it would appear that way though.  I tend to write the musical portion first then add the melody after.  Since that's the case, I usually do the verse first then do the chorus on a different track then bounce them to one track later.   The orange is the verse track and the blue is the beginning of the chorus.  When trying to determine where the "sound" is, I will solo different tracks until I can determine where the problem lies.  In this case, I soloed the orange track first and then the blue track.  The problem is definitely in the orange track.  Even though it is so low that there is a minimal wave showing (barely a bump), it's still present enough to hear when the blue chorus track is playing.   I have to watch carefully because there have been times when I forgot to disarm the record on another track while recording a new track, but that didn't happen in this case. 

Edited by Michael Bauer

This almost sounds like headphone leakage. 
This is one reason I like to take my vocal track and split it into just each phrase  and remove all the “silence “ between. This cleans up the noise floor and breathing. Then I slip edit to start and end with fades.
Sort of what I’m seeing in your Orange track but it’s still showing dead air. I totally remove all that. 
This also makes it easy to level each phase with clip gain if needed as well as making it ready for working with Melodyne. 

Screenshot(1388).thumb.png.2428f1ee48e0a4331a6a08e3df742d1e.png

Edited by JohnnyV

7 hours ago, Andres Medina said:

Right.

For vocals, I totally switched to Melodyne. You can get rid of this little annoying things, plus you can adjust almost any aspect of your vocal performance.

And it's relatively easy to use. Worth trying -

For sure I didn’t use it much back when I have version 4 but when I upgraded to 5 I took the time to watch all of their videos a few times and I started to figure it out. 

Now I use it for all audio editing tasks. Timing, level, remove unwanted notes from guitar chords and then pitch correction. 

It’s great to tighten up harmonies. 
I cannot imagine not having it now. 

• Like 1