Keyboard Controller Designed Specifically for Cakewalk

RexRed

Is there a keyboard controller that is designed specifically for Cakewalk where when you plug it in its pads and knobs detect things like play, rewind, record, pan, volume. 

I know you can program these in but it would be nice to have it set up automatically where the keyboard is aware specifically of Cakewalk and its many parameters, even quantize, undo, save, select etc...

I can use my Elgato stream deck for this as well, but again it would be nice to have a master keyboard that does it all.

Just curious if anything like this exists.

Many keyboards are now coming with extended compatibility with a number of DAWs, I was just wondering if Cakewalk was included in any of these new keyboard features across the new keyboard manufacturers. 

And...

Anyone tried this Cakewalk PC keyboard out yet?

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/kb-covers-cakewalk-sonar-backlit-keyboard-windows-us/l74522000000000

I use a Razer Huntsman Elite mechanical keyboard, I am not likely to change my keyboard for this but it looks nice!

It might be a good trainer to learn to use the hotkeys from.

Edited by RexRed
  • Like 1

Looks handy. Is a bit too expensive to my taste for just an extra keyboard with only one use. The backlit feature is nice though. it's not clear to me 

There still seem to be Cakewalk Sonar stickers for keyboards available like this: sonar-keyboard-stickers 
You can get a cheap second keyboard and put stickers (they do look a bit cheap and outdated though...) like that on it if it's for learning the hotkeys.

I didn't pay attention but I guess most hotkeys will be still the same for the new Sonar.

As far as I know, there are no Cakewalk specific hardware controllers (unless you include the now discontinued controllers from the Roland era).

It should be pretty easy to set-up an ACT controller to at least get one way control from any MIDI controller though.  If you need two way control, check out  @azslow3's AZController - he's got a bunch of presets for various controllers on his forum.

As far as stickers are concerned,  I used to use them (in fact exactly the same ones as posted) but have stopped for a few reasons:

• They come off after around 6 months (although super-glue will give them another year's life)
  • They're pretty "busy" and hard to read
  • 9/10 you get to know the shortcuts by heart in any case
  • They're useless if you change your shortcuts, or create new ones

Really, you're much better off with a chart on the wall:  when you find yourself using a particular function often, find out what shortcut it is and add it to your list.  You'll commit it to memory soon enough.

• Like 4