Be My Memory - Dazzla

Dazzla

🎵 Hey everyone! 

I'm thrilled to share with you my very first production using Cakewalk DAW! I poured my heart and soul into this project, playing all the instruments and singing myself. Now, I'd love to hear what you think!

Your feedback means the world to me, and I'm eager to improve and grow as a musician and producer. So, whether it's about the songwriting, the performance, the mix, or anything else you notice, please don't hold back! Your insights will help me on this musical journey.

Give it a listen, and drop your thoughts in the comments or send me a message. I can't wait to hear from you and learn from your valuable feedback. Thank you for being a part of this exciting adventure with me! 

Edited by Dazzla
  • Like 1

Hi Dazzla.

It sounds rather muddled to me, like there are too many sounds fighting for space. I also felt that there are timing issues, especially with the bass - is it "real" or a VST? I'd look at quantizing if it were me. But then of course it's not me and that might have been what you wanted. And if you had fun doing it, which is the main thing, then why not?

Just my 2p worth.

It sounds rather muddled to me,

i also agree.make the bass less busy.that hi pitched instrument take out in spots.also that high/low drown instrument leave out.your on the correct track.remix start with drums which need to come up in volume.jack c

• Dazzla changed the title to Be My Memory - Dazzla

Hi Dazzla

You have the basis for a very good track.

The issue why it sounds muddled is the mix - the synths and bass are too far up in the mix, whilst the vocal struggles. also sounds a bit over limited perhaps.

Honestly, i think once you can sort out the mix you could have a truly great track here - i really liked the track itself, a lot!!

Cheers

Nigel

Thanks everyone for your input.

I've uploaded a new version where I've brought forward the vocals and snare drum in the mix and added izotope ozone for some space. I understand that the mix is muddled. I might have overdone it with acoustic guitar, synths, brass pad and more keys.

@Bajan Blue what do you mean by over limited? While mastering, I did use a compressor on the output to get rid of the offending harmonics and then used a boost to bring the overall volume up.

This is a much improved mix to my ears, although the drum kit could be louder and the timing issues remain which make the rhythm difficult to follow, for me at any rate.

The songs seems a little flat to me too. Not tonally flat but sonically. I think it might benefit from a more subtle build-up.

59 minutes ago, Dazzla said:

izotope ozone

I'll have to Google that, I have no idea what it is.

3 hours ago, Dazzla said:

I've uploaded a new version where I've brought forward the vocals and snare drum in the mix and added izotope ozone for some space. I understand that the mix is muddled. I might have overdone it with acoustic guitar, synths, brass pad and more keys.

@Bajan Blue what do you mean by over limited? While mastering, I did use a compressor on the output to get rid of the offending harmonics and then used a boost to bring the overall volume up.

Dazzla - compression and extra boost sometimes make the mix sound very compressed, unless you are very careful.

You also say "added izotope ozone for some space" 

Ozone is primarily a mastering package - i use it myself

What version of Ozone do you have?

Cheers

Nigel

On 9/29/2023 at 4:47 AM, Dazzla said:

Sounds better, I'd cut the verb back here and there, maybe a bit more polish here and there (get sound levels optimized, carve out some EQ on instruments for clarity) but really cool song, I dig it I can hear this on the radio easily🎶🎶🎶🎶