Two MIDI keybards

Tetsuro Shiozaki

Long shot: I have seen products with drivers that don't support more than a certain number of instances of the same product.  One used to require a second driver installation for a second instance of the same hardware.  Another product would allow Windows to see and keep straight two instances of the same product.  Any more than two and windows got confused (and so did software that relies of how Windows enumerates, registers, and reports devices).

I don't know about the M-Audio Keystation61 MK3, but if I were trying to use two and got the message you got, that's what I would look into.

One thing I would do is use an old tool called MIDI-OX as a simple way to see if Windows is seeing the two identical devices. If not, I would look at the manufacturer's forum, ask tech support, and Google the driver issue.

I'd probably watch to see what Device Manager does when each identical device is plugged in. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tetsuro Shiozaki said:

Thanks for your comment.  I tried MIDI-OX. It's hard to understand. I think Windows detect the two keyboards  as identical ?

midimap.jpg

Yes, it is very complex.  I only use about 10% of what it can do.

To me it looks like MPD218 is the first MIDI Device Windows has detected and reports to software. 

• Based on my experience with MIDI-OX:
    • Keystation # 1:
      • 2) Keystation 61 MK3 and 3) MIDIIN2 (Keystation 61 MK3) are the MIDI In ports on the second MIDI device detected / reported by Windows;
      • 3) Keystation 61 MK3 and 4) MIDIOUT2 (Keystation 61 MK3) are the MIDI Out ports on the second MIDI device detected / reported by Windows.
    • Keystation # 2:
      • 4) Keystation 61 MK3 and 5) MIDIIN4 (Keystation 61 MK3) are the MIDI In ports on the third MIDI device detected and reported by Windows;
      • 5) Keystation 61 MK3 and 6) MIDIOUT4 (Keystation 61 MK3) are the MIDI Out ports on the third MIDI device detected / reported by Windows.

The questions remains, if Windows is detecting and reporting the two devices and the MIDI I/O ports on each port correctly, why is the OP getting the MIDI Device Failure  error.  To me that message typically means a device (or device + driver) is already in use by some software.

IIRC with two identical Korg nanoKontrols, I had to install the driver twice.  That was before some driver changes were made by Korg (and possibly some Windows changes with the way MIDI devices are handled.

After my experience with Windows messing up 4 identical E-Mu 2x2 MIDI Interfaces, I picked up an iConnectMIDI+2 and then an iConnectMIDI+4.  Since they are different devices, I can use both and Windows doesn't get confused. Windows was able to handle 2 identical E-Mu 2x2s. With three of them I occasionally had problems. With four, software was consistently confused.

Others know more than me about how MIDI device drivers work (or don't work), so I will defer to others on this issue. But to me, it looks like for some reason there's some driver confusion. 

If I had two identical keyboards, I would see what device manager does when one is connected and then make sure all the software worked properly. If it did, I would see what device manager does when the second keyboard is connected. 

Again, I defer to others who have more knowledge.  But now you have some background on why I wrote:

On 9/18/2023 at 8:22 AM, User 905133 said:

Long shot: I have seen products with drivers that don't support more than a certain number of instances of the same product.  One used to require a second driver installation for a second instance of the same hardware.  Another product would allow Windows to see and keep straight two instances of the same product.  Any more than two and windows got confused (and so did software that relies of how Windows enumerates, registers, and reports devices).

I don't know about the M-Audio Keystation61 MK3, but if I were trying to use two and got the message you got, that's what I would look into.

Wish I could help more.

Edited by User 905133
changes based on connecting additional MIDI devices

I just connected the iConnectMIDI+4 and a second E-Mu 2x2 MIDI Interface. The way that Windows handles MIDI devices seems to be different than I remember it working when I last had these devices connected.  I will look for my other 2 E-Mu 2x2 midi interfaces to see if Windows can now handle 4 seeming identical MIDI devices.

Edited by User 905133
corrections

Thank you guys for your comments.

I just forgot to mention one thing. Actually, Cakewalk can detect the two midi keyboards.What I did is:

1. Start up Cakewalk.
2. The error message pops up.
3. I go to "Edit >  Preferences > Devices".
4. Check the 2nd keyboard (see pic).

With this I can play the two keyboards with no problem. But the problem is I got the message every time I start up Cakewalk and I have to check the 2nd keyboard.

2midi.png

4 hours ago, Tetsuro Shiozaki said:

Thank you guys for your comments.

I just forgot to mention one thing. Actually, Cakewalk can detect the two midi keyboards.What I did is:

1. Start up Cakewalk.
2. The error message pops up.
3. I go to "Edit >  Preferences > Devices".
4. Check the 2nd keyboard (see pic).

With this I can play the two keyboards with no problem. But the problem is I got the message every time I start up Cakewalk and I have to check the 2nd keyboard.

2midi.png

Thanks for the clarification/update. As far as being able to use both Keystations as controllers, that's good.

But I do see the same problem that I discovered yesterday when I connected my second identical E-Mu 2x2 interface yesterday. The first output of the second device is missing. On yours, there should be a Keystation 61 MK3 in the Outputs Second for the first output of the second Keystation. On mine I am missing the first output of the second E-Mu 2x2 interface.

That might be a problem for you if they serve only as controllers, but for me instead of having midi outs for 4 synth modules, I only have midi outs for 3.  [potential CbB 2023.09 bug alert!]

MIDI-OX, Voltage Modular, and Kushview's Elements all see two midi outs on each of the two identical 2x2 interfaces.

Unfortunately, I updated  my older PC and my ancient laptop to 2023.09 so I can't see if this is a new issue (unless I can re-install older versions).

I can say for certain that as of a couple of years ago, I did not have this issue with CbB.

• NOTES:
    • Home Studio (23.09 built 32 from 1997) does not have this issue; there are 4 midi outputs between the two 2x2 interfaces.
    • If I can reinstall older versions of CbB, I will try to see if this issue predates the newest version of CbB that was just released.