copied midi notes are not played in Kontakt and Reaktor instruments in cakewalk

Istvan Karsai

14 hours ago, David Baay said:

... go to the MIDI tab in the Track Inspector ...

learned something new! i hadn't noticed those tabs on the bottom of the track inspector when viewing an instrument track (mainly because i don't use them often) but it's really handy to be able to switch between the audio and MIDI views.

• Like 1

David,

Many thanks. The channel was set to one in the second column under the knob mix. I thought this is what matter (see pic). I followed what you wrote I think, and the event list showed ch 4 as you said. This is confusing.

I think what you mean to force it to channel to 1 is with the button in the first column under the FX rack, which I did and it read now as C1: Kontakt 7. Please let me know if I did it wrong (I am pretty new to this).

It works with a single instrument track!!

Many thanks!

Istvan

Screenshot 2023-08-31 164338.jpg

8 hours ago, Glenn Stanton said:

learned something new! i hadn't noticed those tabs on the bottom of the track inspector when viewing an instrument track (mainly because i don't use them often) but it's really handy to be able to switch between the audio and MIDI views.

FYI - this is also how you can easily add MIDI FX to an instrument track.  When the MIDI tab is active, it's the MIDI track's FX bin that is shown in the inspector.

23 hours ago, Istvan Karsai said:

The channel was set to one in the second column under the knob mix.

That control is specific to the Arpeggiator section; if you hover over it, you'll see the tooltip says: "Arp Process MIDI Channel(s)".

23 hours ago, Istvan Karsai said:

I think what you mean to force it to channel to 1 is with the button in the first column under the FX rack, which I did and it read now as C1: Kontakt 7.

Yes that's the relevant control - the output channel from the MIDI part of the Instrument track to the Kontakt instance in the Synth Rack that it's associated with.  I forgot it's accessible from the Track Pane which is why I suggested going to the MIDI tab of the Inspector. Either way is fine.  Since Kontakt is multi-timbral synth, it's good to get in the habit of setting the appropriate output channel in the track even if you're only using a single instrument initially. If you had recorded MIDI from a keyboard, it would likely have been sending events with channel 1 embedde din them so this would not hav ebeen necessary. But sincce the MIDI were from a multi-tack file each track has a different channel embedded in the MIDI events. I call the track setting "forced" output channel because it automatically and non-destructively re-writes the channel of events (i.e. Note On/Off messages, Controllers, etc) to the specified channel on the fly as opposed to changing the channel of the events themselves.

The basic concept to understand is that a MIDI channel is not like an audio channel that has a dedicated wire or "pipeline" for the data to follow.  With MIDI, all the messages are traveling on the same wire, in single file, and the channel is a parameter of each individual MIDI message. Assigning a channel to an instrument in the synth (or vice versa, depending on how a particular synth UI is set up) tells the instrument to only respond to messages with the matching channel parameter.

• Like 1