Sonar 8.5 Producer: Display Full Names Of Parameters - Is It Possible?

Annabelle

I have Caketalking 8.8, an accessibility software that allows JAWS (Job Access With Speech) and Sonar to work together as a team, and I'm having a bit of a dilemma with parameters only displaying a chunk of the name. For example, in Audioease Speakerphone, when in the track inspector, it might say something like: "RoomAuto=Recordi", instead of, "RoomAuto=Recording Studio". How do I fix it so Sonar will display the full names of parameters with the screen resolution at 1024x768 and the theme set to Windows Classic? These two parameters are required in order to make Caketalking work right. Here's a screenshot for ya.

Speakerphone Track Inspector Screenshot.png

Edited by Annabelle

On 8/22/2023 at 4:26 AM, Annabelle said:

I have Caketalking 8.8, an accessibility software that allows JAWS (Job Access With Speech) and Sonar to work together as a team, and I'm having a bit of a dilemma with parameters only displaying a chunk of the name. For example, in Audioease Speakerphone, when in the track inspector, it might say something like: "RoomAuto=Recordi", instead of, "RoomAuto=Recording Studio". How do I fix it so Sonar will display the full names of parameters with the screen resolution at 1024x768 and the theme set to Windows Classic? These two parameters are required in order to make Caketalking work right. Here's a screenshot for ya.

Speakerphone Track Inspector Screenshot.png

Hi, Annabelle.  Your screenshot didn't come through.

1 minute ago, Annabelle said:

That's strange! I believe I attached it with the "Choose File" button. What could have happened, I wonder?

That is strange. When I mouse over where the image should be, I get the image search icon but there is nothing there.

16 hours ago, Annabelle said:

So I wonder how I could put a screenshot of the track inspector from Speakerphone in Sonar on this forum.

That's hard to say without knowing how you did it and what went wrong.
There is an image there. It could be described as a snowman in a blizzard, but it's not a Cakewalk picture.
How did you capture this image and what is it of?

40 minutes ago, 57Gregy said:

That's hard to say without knowing how you did it and what went wrong.
There is an image there. It could be described as a snowman in a blizzard, but it's not a Cakewalk picture.
How did you capture this image and what is it of?

I captured the image by pressing Printscreen, then saving it with "Paint" on a thumb drive. The screenshot is of a track inspector in Sonar 8.5 Producer Edition, specifically with the Audioease Speakerphone plugin running.

Same here. What I see is what you normally get in dialogue boxes. If you hover the mouse it opens a pop up dialogue that will show the whole thing.

But possibly this is a Cakewalk by Bandlab and Windows 10 thing.   I don't remember if these things work on windows 7 and Sonar 8. 

Example screen capture on Windows 10 is fast.  Hold the Windows key and print screen and the screen shot is saved in a screenshot folder that is found in the pictures folder.  I have a shortcut for it on my desktop.  You double click on it and you can edit the pictures in the Photos app. Takes less that a minute to post a screen shot.

I still use Paint to add text to pictures. It's an old friend I've used a million times. I hate the new 3 D version. 

Edited by JohnnyV

23 minutes ago, JohnnyV said:

Same here. What I see is what you normally get in dialogue boxes. If you hover the mouse it opens a pop up dialogue that will show the whole thing.

But possibly this is a Cakewalk by Bandlab and Windows 10 thing.   I don't remember if these things work on windows 7 and Sonar 8. 

Example screen capture on Windows 10 is fast.  Hold the Windows key and print screen and the screen shot is saved in a screenshot folder that is found in the pictures folder.  I have a shortcut for it on my desktop.  You double click on it and you can edit the pictures in the Photos app. Takes less that a minute to post a screen shot.

I still use Paint to add text to pictures. It's an old friend I've used a million times. I hate the new 3 D version. 

As I am sight challenged, I don't use a mouse. I use a keyboard. Hence the thing about pressing keys.

There is no way I know of, to make the parameter name fields larger to hold more text. I guess the screen reader is only enunciating what is visible on the screen? I have no idea how screen readers work. I am in awe of sight-challenged folk who are productive with DAWs. I wish I could help.

I know Rachel Flowers uses SONAR 8 for the same reasons - the ability to use screen reading.

I hope the new Cakewalk NEXT product supports screen reading but I'm not holding my breath.

18 minutes ago, Colin Nicholls said:

There is no way I know of, to make the parameter name fields larger to hold more text. I guess the screen reader is only enunciating what is visible on the screen? I have no idea how screen readers work. I am in awe of sight-challenged folk who are productive with DAWs. I wish I could help.

I know Rachel Flowers uses SONAR 8 for the same reasons - the ability to use screen reading.

I hope the new Cakewalk NEXT product supports screen reading but I'm not holding my breath.

Rachel Flowers? Never heard of her. Does she use JAWS and Caketalking with Sonar 8.5?

5 hours ago, Annabelle said:

Rachel Flowers? Never heard of her. Does she use JAWS and Caketalking with Sonar 8.5?

Sorry, I should have posted a link: http://rachelflowersmusic.com/about/

Here is a video from 2012 where she is talking about Sonar/Caketalking/JAWS:

The video shows SONAR 7 on the screen, briefly. I don't know Rachel personally, and I don't know if she still uses this combination. 

Edited by Colin Nicholls

9 minutes ago, Colin Nicholls said:

Sorry, I should have posted a link: http://rachelflowersmusic.com/about/

Here is a video from 2012 where she is talking about Sonar/Caketalking/JAWS:

The video shows SONAR 7 on the screen, briefly. I don't know Rachel personally, and I don't know if she still uses this combination. 

She sounds like someone I'd like to meet one day. I wonder, does she live in Eugene, Oregon? The song she's playing kinda reminds me of the theme song from "Wheel Of Fortune". And I looooooooooooooove the fact that like me, she loves jazz.

• Like 1

@Colin Nicholls  when you posted her name I went- Hey I know her, she's that amazing keyboard player from You Tube. The ones I saw she was playing in a public area and another one I think she was featured at a trade show. Amazing talent for sure. 

Annabelle,  of course you don't probably use You Tube but it has totally replaced television in the modern world so people like Rachel are modern day celebrities.

Have you ever submitted a feature request? I guess they broke it with the advent of the Skylight interface in Sonar X1. I myself stayed with good old Sonar 8.5 right up until X 3 and even then I took a year to totally switch over. 

On 8/26/2023 at 5:26 PM, Annabelle said:

She sounds like someone I'd like to meet one day. I wonder, does she live in Eugene, Oregon? The song she's playing kinda reminds me of the theme song from "Wheel Of Fortune". And I looooooooooooooove the fact that like me, she loves jazz.

She's amazing. Her and some friends did the entire Emerson, Lake and Palmer album "Brain Salad Surgery" and was astounded by her ability to play the keyboard and guitar parts.