Lil' OT - Apple TV - At BB -3 months free

Brian Lawler

(deal still works Nov 28)

You need to use a credit card for your order at Best Buy, but there will be no charge.  Also at Apple, with paid renewal in 3 months. SO- drop your sub a day before, if you are a fellow tightwad.  This is good for new OR returning subscribers.  I had a free 3 month starting last December.  Now I can catch the latest Ted Lasso.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-free-apple-tv-for-3-months-new-or-returning-subscribers-only/6484512.p?skuId=6484512

Edited by Brian Lawler
update
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mettelus said:

So every three months you can cancel and "return" until they figure it out?

It's the same subscription pitch as ever. 30-90 days free, and then a large enough percentage of people who try either stick with it because they dig the content and think it's worth it or they just forget to stop it.

My ADHD-ridden brain is bad with these things. Many such subscription services have gotten a month's payment out of me because I was late to cancel.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mettelus said:

So every three months you can cancel and "return" until they figure it out?

As long as they keep offering.  I don't know how long the Best Buy deal will run though.   I just got the info from the Friday Wall Street Journal (which I am paying $4 a month for until my year runs out). 

2 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

It's the same subscription pitch as ever. 30-90 days free, and then a large enough percentage of people who try either stick with it because they dig the content and think it's worth it or they just forget to stop it.

My ADHD-ridden brain is bad with these things. Many such subscription services have gotten a month's payment out of me because I was late to cancel.

YES- That is a concern.  I set a reminder in my calendar for two days before renewal.  The key to the deals is like just about any purchase.  Be willing to walk away if the price is not acceptable.  At least when I cancelled Apple TV it was very easy.  Amazon Prime was so convoluted that they are being sued over it.  I won't be taking any offers from them, based on my experience cancelling Prime last year (I did succeed before they charged me, but it was very difficult).

2 minutes ago, Brian Lawler said:

Amazon Prime was so convoluted that they are being sued over it.

I'm glad to hear it. I am an Amazon consumer who got screwed over by them a couple of years ago.

It happened this way: Amazon have a policy where any 2 people sharing the same address may also share an Amazon Prime membership. Nice for unmarried couples, roommates, whatever.

I have a tenant in a cottage at the rear of my property, and he has an Amazon Prime membership, so I signed on to this. He , in turn, has access to the Netflix subscription I pay for.

A couple years ago, I noticed that among the scattering of purchases from Amazon, one for the same amount of $14.95 kept popping up. This had gone on for about 6 months. I contacted Amazon and apparently, buried in one of those legalese-filled emails we get about Notice of Changes in Terms to Your Account, was the information that, in order to continue using my tenant's Amazon Prime membership, I needed to opt-in. Failure to do so, while continuing to order from Amazon, amounted to my consenting to having my own membership, at $14.95 per month.

If I even read the email, I only skimmed it, because, you know, legalese.

I informed them that I did want to opt in to continue on the one address/2 users plan (duh), and not only that, I wanted my money back from the months when I hadn't explicitly opted in to the other plan. No go said they. My bank (Chase), on the other hand, were very accommodating about getting 3 of the months charged back.

Yes, part of it was my fault for not reading the email message completely, and for not noticing the recurring charges until it had been going on for half a year. Still, I thought it was kind of sleazy for them to switch people over in this way when who on Earth, if they were eligible for sharing a membership, would choose to pay for their own?

It's too bad they pull this crap, because Amazon Prime is a great deal. Either the free fast delivery or the streaming videos would be worth $15 by themselves, IMO. Probably similar to how @Grem feels about Waves: they have a good product, why do they have to be so sketchy in how they go about selling it? I've never been a huge fan of Waves' products. They work fine, but none of the ones I have experience with surpass counterparts from other industry leaders like Brainworx, Meldaproduction, or iZotope, and the single seat license always put me off. Something about them that I think is great is that you can move their licenses around on a generic USB stick or SD card rather than a proprietary dongle.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...