Midi keyboard not connecting

jkoseattle

Question

I am trying to reset my system up after both a re-install of Windows 11 AND a remodel of the actual room. The room is done, and I'm plugging everything back in. I am unable to get Cakewalk to hear input from my Midi Keyboard though.

This is an M-Audio Hammer 88 and before everything got taken apart, it had been successfully connected to this same computer and Cakewalk for years using the same Surface Dock. In Cakewalk Preferences > MIDI > Devices, the Hammer 88 is listed and checked for both input and output. When I create a new project, the template I am using points to the Hammer 88 already, and that pairing still seems intact for all three tracks in the template. The piano lights up when plugged in. When I unplug the Midi cable, Windows immediately complains, and when I plug it back in, it immediately recognizes the piano again. When I playback an existing project, it plays just fine, so my synths and soundcard are working. I also hear the metronome count-in when attempting to record. I have attempted this using both MME and UWP driver modes, with no difference.

In short, everything looks and behaves exactly as expected. Yet playing the piano, nothing is heard and nothing recorded, on any of the three tracks. 

I dug out an old M-Audio Keystation Mini 32 which is the only other midi device I own. Cakewalk doesn't even see it at all though.

What should I look at to fix this?

Edited by jkoseattle

9 answers to this question

19 hours ago, jkoseattle said:

the Hammer 88 is listed and checked for both input and output.

This confirms the device is connected.  Did you check the driver status in Device manager, look under Sound Video and Game controller and open the properties.  Did you download the driver from here- https://m-audio.com/support/drivers   Always use a factory driver if available. 

When I create a new project, the template I am using points to the Hammer 88 already,

Did you try not using a template? Open a Basic project and see if that works. 

I am unable to get Cakewalk to hear input from my Midi Keyboard though.

I'm assuming you meant to say Cakewalk is not receiving midi data from the keyboard.

When I unplug the Midi cable, Windows immediately complains,

I'm also assuming you meant to say the USB cable, or are you using the midi 5 pin output to your audio interface? That would certainly explain the issue as you would then be using your audio interface as the midi input device. But the Windows message sort of rules that out. 

I won't insult you by asking is you turned on input echo , but hey, you never know on the internet at what level of knowledge the person is at with Cakewalk. 

According to M-Audio, no drivers are needed, and I already have the most recent firmware loaded. 

I tried opening a Basic project, installed a synth, and on the standalone version of the synth it plays fine on the virtual on-screen keyboard. I thought I played a few notes successfully from the piano, but either it stopped receiving data or else it was my imagination. In any case, no difference.

Yes I meant Cakewalk is not receiving Midi data from the keyboard. Or if it is, it's ignoring it.

And yes, I meant the USB cable. Not only is everything plugged into the same ports, it is the exact same cables before I broke it all down.

Input echo is enabled, But if it weren't I should at least see recorded Midi events in the project even if I can't hear them. But nothing.

RANT: This is the EXACT reason I've been putting off remodeling my studio and doing the much-needed Windows re-install. Because I just KNEW this was going to happen and I was dreading all the stress.. It's a sad mark of the times that an entire album release (two, actually) is not happening because of this. 

It's interesting that M audio says no driver is needed but I just checked and they defiantly have a driver posted in the downloads.  Might be worth a shot. 

But seems you know what your doing and it is a total bummer when S--T like this happens. I too am holding off on a re build to W11. I think I'll wait until Cakewalk makes up it's mind about which version I'll be using. And , yep, Don't touch a dang thing until the albums is finished is a good fri--n idea. 

9 hours ago, Bass Guitar said:

It's interesting that M audio says no driver is needed but I just checked and they defiantly have a driver posted in the downloads.  Might be worth a shot. 

But seems you know what your doing and it is a total bummer when S--T like this happens. I too am holding off on a re build to W11. I think I'll wait until Cakewalk makes up it's mind about which version I'll be using. And , yep, Don't touch a dang thing until the albums is finished is a good fri--n idea. 

To be clear, I did have Windows 11 on the machine for a long time before I did the reinstall. I has nothing to do with Windows 11.

Go here: https://m-audio.com/support/drivers-search and choose Keyboard Controllers > Hammer 88 > Windows 11. You'll see "There are currently no drivers available for this product and operating system."

All this points to a problem with the physical piano itself. I had only moved it gently from one room and back, never dropped or bumped it. Is this something that happens with these, where the connectivity is fine but the keys themselves stop working?

Sorry I never clicked past the first part and scrolled down. My bad. 

My experience has been my controllers that don't come with drivers are more problematic. But we are headed for midi gear being all plug and play if you read up about Midi 2.0. 

Trouble shooting is where you take a system and test each individual component. If you have doubles of components then you swap them out. You said you have another keyboard.  I would see if you can get it working. Does it show in Device Manager when connected? You need to get that working first. If it doesn't show in Device Manager then Cakewalk won't see it either. Does it have a driver? 

And because that keyboard has a 5 pin din port you could try that and connect it to your audio interface if it has a Midi port as well. Or connect it to Midi sound module if you have one. 

Have you tried looking in it's settings to make sure all theat is set up correctly. It might be only sending on a weird channel. but Omni input would fix that. 

There's a program I heard of called Midi Ox that is supposed to show you what is going on. 

Edited by Bass Guitar

Thanks! I installed Midi Ox and it looks like overkill. So I tried yet again opening Cakewalk because I wasn't like I had already tested it 5 times in the last two days or anything...

...and I then remembered to try one more thing that is only rarely suggested but is probably the most reliable solution across all computer problems. And that is: 

Try doing the exact same thing you've already done like 5 times and maybe this time it will work for some unknown reason.

... and that's exactly what I tried, and it worked! I have to remember to recommend that next time comes to me with a computer problem. :-)

• Like 1