Probably beat up question about solo / un-solo Midi tracks

Misha

Hi Folks.

Probably something ridiculous, just can't find the cure.

Here is the scenario.

1) I create an Instrument track in Cakewalk  (Halion VST).

2) I import my Midi arrangement (several tracks) to Cakewalk

3) Everything plays as it should... BUT

If I solo a single track out of lets say 5 playing (In Cakewalk, not the Halion interface)  it will solo that track and the solo is also automatically pressed  on Halion instrument track in Cakewalk.  If I un-click the solo on the midi track, the solo button on Halion  (Instrument track) will remain active, so I have to unclick it manually.  Is there a way to fix this, so the solo button is synced to unclick from actual Instrument?

I hope I am making sense :)

Thank you!

When using multiple MIDI tracks to the same plug-in, it is best to avoid using an instrument track. Split the instrument track.

In fact, CbB does not permit creating an instrument track after multiple MIDI tracks are assigned to the same plug-in

• Like 1

Scook, thank you for the reply.

Halion is similar to Kontakt...Sampletank in a way. Usually I have my Multi instrument 

bank saved there. I do not believe opening multiple instances of Halion is wise for the

purpose of solving solo button  annoyance.

That's fine. There is no requirement to have to have multiple instances of the plug-in. Just avoid using instrument tracks when the plug-in has more than one audio or MIDI track.

Instrument tracks were intended for synths using one audio and one MIDI track. An instrument track is not a base track type in CbB. It is a combination of an audio track and a MIDI track. A complete synth routing is possible with either an instrument track or an audio+MIDI track pair.

CbB does not prevent adding tracks to a plug-in after it is setup with an instrument track but a better multi-track experience is possible when the instrument track is split into its underlying audio and MIDI tracks.

I am ashamed to admit how little I know, and that I am a little lost...

What does this mean:

"When using multiple MIDI tracks to the same plug-in, it is best to avoid using an instrument track.  Split the instrument track."

How can I split it without loading multiple instances? Halion Sonic is a single plugin synth that has a multichannel "save" for my midi file that has 5 or more tracks.

The only workaround I found is using multiple instances of Halion and routing specific midi tracks to specific Halion instance to specific bus.  Please be patient with me :)

P.S. Maybe I am being somewhat unclear. I create my multitrack midi file arrangement and corresponding Halion "multibank save state" outside of Cakewalk.  

Then, when I am in Cakewalk I create an instrument track (Halion) and use "import midi" to bring in my midi file (which has 5 or more tracks).  

Here is an instrument track being split

RaYDBQ5.gif

Synths may be added to a project using an instrument track, audio+MIDI tracks or no tracks at all. Audio and MIDI tracks may be added at any time and connected to a synth.

An instrument track is really just a special presentation of an audio and MIDI track. The gif above shows what happens after running "Split Instrument Track" - the audio and MIDI track that make up the original instrument track are revealed. Now add more audio and MIDI track as needed. The solo problem mentioned in the OP will be gone.

When adding new synths to a project

• If using the Add Track menu instrument tab, there is an advanced option to "Split Instrument Track"
  • All the other methods to add synths use the Insert Soft Synth Options dialog which has even more track options.

An instrument track may be split anytime.

An audio+MIDI pair may be made into an instrument track as long as they are the only tracks pointing to a plug-in in the synth rack. The option to make an instrument track is in the same place as the "Split Instrument Track" except it only appears in audio and MIDI tracks that complete a path to a plug-in in the synth rack.

• Like 2

Scook,

It worked perfectly, no issues with solo button. Thank you!!!

Can I please bug you with one other question?  I am assuming that if I decide to move a couple of MIDI tracks from same group to different buses, I would still have to create multiple instances of Halion, or there is a more intelligent way to do it? Thank you for your time.

I don't have the plug-in.

My guess it the plug-in has more than one stereo output. If this is the case then it is up to you whether to use multiple instances of the plug-in or not. May to to experiment with a single instance with multiple MIDI/audio tracks and multiple instances of the plug-in and see which method (or combination of both methods) works best for you.

• Like 1

Scook,

Silly me,  I was trying to go directly from synth splitting it to specific buses.  Of course that did not work, but when I assigned  plugin audio channels to different audio outputs, created audio tracks linking them to these plugin outputs and routing them into specific buses it did work perfectly. Two problems solved. You are helpful and correct as always. Thank you!