Convert SPP files

Hello,

I need to do some work in Reaper and would like to export my SPP presets for an EQ that I use in CW. I have the EQ installed in Reaper and it works fine, but I don't have any of my presets there. 

I know how to export the SPP file (all presets) for that VST plugin, using Plugin Manager, but Reaper only wants to read FXP or RPL files. Is there a way to convert Cakewalk FX preset libraries (SPP) to other file formats? I can open them in Notepad, but I have no idea how to convert the formats. I have hundreds of presets saved for this particular EQ, and converting them would save me A LOT of time and trouble. Thanks a lot. 

--john

Edited by johnegenes@gmail.com

The VST specifications provides for individual and banks of presets. The FXP extension is typically used for individual VST2 presets. Not sure about RPL, that may be a reaper file format.

The SPP files created by Cakewalk are proprietary and the company does not publish file specs.

Unless you can hack the format to do what you want forget about the Cakewalk preset manager.

To get plug-in presets out of Cakewalk for use in a different DAW, use the preset manager built into the plug-in to save presets. Plug-in preset managers work the same regardless of the DAW hosting the plug-ins.

If the plug-in lacks a preset manager complain to the plug-in manufacturer. It may still be possible to extract presets by using @azslow3's Cakewalk>Reaper project conversion utility to get the projects loaded into reaper w/ presets intact.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. 
I did try to use Plugin Manager in Cakewalk (I have used it for years, to back up all my presets). I can export a VST plugin with ALL of its presets, no problem. It comes out as an SPP file. 
I can open and save my presets ("Acoustic Guitar" circled) in Cakewalk. I can also open and save the FXP presets ("VST2" circled), and I can save my SPP presets as FXP (presets) or FXB (banks). But when I try to import the FXB or FXP files, Reaper won't read them. So, I'm stuck. The third picture is of some of my presets. It would be a nightmre if I have to have to re-program them, one at a time. My MONO EQ version has 10 times as many presets. 

Timeworks EQ SPP.jpg

Timeworks EQ FXB.jpg

Timeworks SPP PRESETS.jpg

• Sad 1

@azslow: Yes, it does help a small bit. I can export a single patch from Cakewalk, using your method. It saves it as a .preset file. And then it will import into Reaper, using the "Open" command (yellow folder, next to your arrow). In a pinch, I can call up a few saved presets, but I don't want to have to export/import hundreds of them, and it doesn't seem like there is a way to export the entire library of presets, except via Plugin Manager (SPP files). You'd think, since Reaper and CW allow saving and importing Banks, that I could access them. 

I have been able to save a Bank in Cakewalk (FXB file), and then import it into Reaper. But it shows up as a single patch, and there is no way to fly open the preset window ("Acoustic Guitar") to get to the other presets. Here's what the plugin looks like in Reaper. As you can see, Reaper has blotted out the menu bar and replaced it with its own, which has no "preset select" window. Flying out the "Default" window does nothing. There are no choices there, it's blank. So is the one above it: 

Timeworks in Reaper.JPG

To clarify all that a bit...

What plug-in is drawing is common for all DAWs. But each DAW has own controls and extra functions. So the icons inside plug-in are working the same way in any DAW,  f.e. "Acoustic Guitar"/"Default" are DAW specific present management sections.

Both DAWs can export/import FXP (single preset). FXB can be a collection of FXPs, but that is not forced.

Cakewalk is using SPP for collections of presets, REAPER is using RPL. Both are proprietary DAW specific formats.

Writing a converter is theoretically possible, but that will probably take more time and effort then converting 200-500 presets...

You can use build-in export/import as pointer by Scook. That will work for sure.

Alternatively you can try FXP way. You still have to load and export each preset separately, this time as FXP (using VST2 menu in Cakewalk). But then you can combine them into RPL using mentioned utility. So you don't have to import and save each preset separately in REAPER, that cat significantly reduce total conversion time. But check with several presets that such procedure works.

@johnegenes@gmail.comI had a look, and I can try to write SPP to RPL converter...

But for that I will need an example from plug-in in question. So an SPP with 2-3 (not more!!!) presets included and corresponding RPL (with the same presets). Upload these 2 files somewhere and PM me the link.

It can happened the result will work with some other plug-ins, but not all. So for other plug-in separate examples may be needed.
The reason is existence of several preset formats and corresponding differences in SPP and RPL. Note that I am not working for Cakewalk nor Cockos, so I do not have access to the documentation/source of these formats (for RPL more information is "known" and developers are more friendly in explaining internals, but for SPP that is not an option).

There are some plug-ins for which that will not work (I couldn't understand preset structure). But with some luck your EQ is not in that list...

• Like 1

You can try: https://www.azslow.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=93

Command line utility, no GUI. Running without parameters print how to use it.

That is the first version, it has bugs for sure. So check the output for errors and let me know if something goes wrong.
Note that REAPER sometimes silently ignore mistakes, so even in case there is no errors during conversion and import,
check that parameters are really changing when switching between presets.

For mono plug-ins use "-l2s" option. SPP files don't have information about routing, RPP files do. That option set
"left to stereo" (audio) routing, as in your example RPL (since the plug-in was mono).

-----------------

The rest of that post you can skip. Depending from your skills in computing, the following can be "too scientific" to understand ;)

The names of plug-ins are different in Cakewalk and REAPER (they use different ways to construct the name). But both
identify plug-ins by IDs and these IDs are consistent. They are in encoded as a part of the preset, you can't see them (easily...).

Generated RPLs are not binary equivalent to self made, just in case you will wonder why generated RPL is different from
your test RPL. Cakewalk and REAPER are using different "factory to external" presets matching approaches (with some plug-ins
Cakewalk works more natural, with some REAPER seems like working more logical). Also the difference in preset origin is sometimes
saved into preset, in your example presets in RPL include the name of "*.preset" files you was using for transfer, in SPP that are just
modifications of "default.preset".

@azslow3I used it on both the MONO and Stereo versions of the Timeworks EQ (they are different VSTs), and it worked flawlessly! Was able to import over 600 presets on the mono EQ. Have spot-tested them, and they all seem to load fine. The stereo EQ have only about 75 presets, and they all loaded fine, as well. The only thing I saw, on the DOS command line, was this, when I converted the MONO EQ patches. It created the RPL file, but gave this message: 
"ERR: in rpl_line"  

Might be a code glitch... don't know. But the converter works so far. These are both VST2 plugins. I'll try it on a few more of my VST2 FX, including some instruments. This is a HUGE time saver for me. The reason I need it is because the mono Timeworks EQ crashes the new Cakewalk. The stereo version is okay, but I can't load the mono presets into it. I have a bug report with Bandlab, though I'm guessing their hands are full with the new release, so I doubt my issues will be fixed. I have used Reaper for years, but not as a main DAW, and I don't intend to move over to it, as I'm a diehard Cakewalk user. But this will allow me to finish up some things and maybe do some experimenting to try to solve the Timeworks/Cakewalk issues, as well. Thanks again, and if there's anything I can do for you, please let me know. I'll keep you posted on the progress.

best,

--john

I have updated the utility:

• bug which was producing "ERR: in rpl_line" should be fixed now. Small (under ~128k) RPL files generated using buggy version are valid, but bigger (if you have some) should be regenerated.
  • VSTi should be supported now ("-i" option is removed)

• Like 1

I have decided to make the utility more or less "complete". 

The latest version should support VST2(i) and VST3(i) presets.

DX is not planned (I don't think someone will continue using DXes and so converting preset lists make no sense, CWP2RPP supports that for project conversion).

• Like 1

On 8/10/2023 at 2:29 PM, johnegenes@gmail.com said:

Okay, have downloaded and will install and test it out from a command prompt (I'm conversant with DOS commands). I'll check it out and get back to you. Thanks very much for this!

@azslow3 is a hero, to be sure. I don't use REAPER, but for people who do use both REAPER and Cakewalk, his utilities are invaluable.

• Like 1