SONAR 8.5 ESD_Setup "Cannot locate the required version of the program"

Bill Phillips

Question

I've just built a new PC and want to install legacy plugins, starting with 8.5, before installing CbB. I believe I have all the correct files. Here's a link to screenshots of the install file folder and the error message.

I believe the problem is that the installer is looking for the previous (8.3.1, I think) of SONAR which I don't want to install. I tried running the installer as Administrator and that didn't help.

I've also used the "can't locate the required version" in both Cakewalk Forum and Google searches with no luck. So maybe this is new. My new PC is Windows 11, don't have it listed in my signature yet.

I did find this form post from 2009 indicating I do need at least 8.0 installed to use the downloaded installer. Of course, the 8.0 installer may require that an earlier version is installed.

Edited by Bill Phillips
Added an reference.

4 answers to this question

SONAR 8.5 was the first version to have a downloadable installer, however; unlike all other downloadable installers provided by Cakewalk, this one required SONAR 8 be installed prior to running the update. This was done to reduce the size of the installer.

SONAR 8 was never available as a download. It was only available on disk.

SONAR 8.5 upgrade disks were available when the product was announced. The disks were the same as full retail version (I think upgrades came w/o the retail box in the US).

Without the SONAR 8 disks, the 8.5 upgrade download is useless.

SONAR X1 and newer have full installers and updates available for download on the old Cakewalk site for registered users with valid SSO accounts.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, scook said:

SONAR 8.5 was the first version to have a downloadable installer, however; unlike all other downloadable installers provided by Cakewalk, this one required SONAR 8 be installed prior to running the update. This was done to reduce the size of the installer.

SONAR 8 was never available as a download. It was only available on disk.

SONAR 8.5 upgrade disks were available when the product was announced. The disks were the same as full retail version (I think upgrades came w/o the retail box in the US).

Without the SONAR 8 disks, the 8.5 upgrade download is useless.

SONAR X1 and newer have full installers and updates available for download on the old Cakewalk site for registered users with valid SSO accounts.

So that's it. Thanks.

I have the SONAR 8, 4 DVD box set. So I can install that. All I want are 64 bit plugins that aren't available on later versions. It looks like the only one that was dropped after 8.5 is the Lexicon Pantheon Reverb. Looks like I can get it on 8.0 and don't need to install 8.5. Hopefully it has an advanced install option.

All the versions you have mentioned have advanced installs except for Platinum. Platinum broke the main installer into several smaller ones.

Updates can contain plug-in bug fixes so that is something to consider (ex. the last version of V-Vocal is in the X2a update).

For more fun reading including a link to a spreadsheet containing SONAR plug-ins by version see

• Thanks 1