How To Print Staff View

DallasSteve

Question

I have a song displaying notes in Staff view.  I want to print it to a PDF file.  I found these instructions in the Cakewalk documentation.

To print a score
1. Make sure the Staff view is the current window.
2. Choose File > Print Preview.
3. If you want, click Zoom, or click in the music, to zoom the view in and out.
4. Click the Configure button to select a rastral size.
5. When zoomed out, you can press PAGE UP and PAGE DOWN to navigate between pages.
6. Click Print.

I think I have the Staff view as the current window because I just selected View -> Staff and it appears, but when I go to step 2 Print Preview is disabled.  Does anyone know why I can't Print Prveiw?

3 answers to this question

1 hour ago, DallasSteve said:

I have a song displaying notes in Staff view.  I want to print it to a PDF file.  I found these instructions in the Cakewalk documentation.

To print a score
1. Make sure the Staff view is the current window.
2. Choose File > Print Preview.
3. If you want, click Zoom, or click in the music, to zoom the view in and out.
4. Click the Configure button to select a rastral size.
5. When zoomed out, you can press PAGE UP and PAGE DOWN to navigate between pages.
6. Click Print.

I think I have the Staff view as the current window because I just selected View -> Staff and it appears, but when I go to step 2 Print Preview is disabled.  Does anyone know why I can't Print Prveiw?

I don't think I have printed out music from SONAR/Cakewalk in 15-20, but I followed these instructions and they worked.

CORRECTION: I looked at the instructions, but I think my hands just did what they always used to do.  Sec.  Let me retrace them and write them down.

UPDATE: Ooops.  I was typing down the exact steps, but when I went to look at your reply, I lost the text.  😞  I was only up to Step 5 or 6.  I will re-do and post as I go. 

1. Open / Load Project (2 midi tracks + 1 instrument track).
  2. Select 2 midi tracks (Ctrl + mouse clicks).
  3. Choose Menu Bar > Views > Staff View (opens up in Multi-Dock).
  4. In Multi-Dock's Staff View, Choose Print > Print Preview.
  5. OPTIONAL: Press Configure; Change Rastral Size; Use Zoom In/Out (resizes display size); Choose Close.
    • 5a Press Configure.
    • 5b Change Rastral Size.
    • 5c Click OK.
    • 5d Use Zoom In /Zoom Out buttons to see the result of the Rastral Size change.
    • 5e Choose Close.
  6. PRINT
    • Path 1:
      • Choose Print (the button next to Configure once you are in Print Preview / Configuration Change mode).
    • Path 2:
      • Press Close to exit Print Preview / Configuration Change mode.
      • Choose Print (on the Multi-Dock's Staff View Tab/Menu Bar
    • Select Print to PDF [I used Microsoft Print to PDF].
    • Save [I saved to Desktop].

**In order to have the preview display change to something close to the new rastral size, I had to close out of the print preview and then choose print again.  The rastral size [layout] was correct in the PDF that was printed. But in order to see the approximate layout in the preview display, I had to close out of print preview and re do it.

I will try this again to make sure I typed out the steps I used correctly. I think the first time I tried, the steps might have been different.

SEC:  I left out a step: Zoom out let me see the preview change the first time.  Let me update the steps.

SEC: I believe there are (at least) two paths to printing.  Double checking that now.

So, these steps (and variations) worked consistently on my PC.  Hope they help. 

1 hour ago, DallasSteve said:

I have been trying different things, but so far in Step 2, Print Preview is not disabled no matter what I do.  Maybe someone else has some ideas about what might cause it to be disabled.  It shouldn't matter because Staff View has been around for so long, but I am using CbB Version 2022.11 (Build 021).

Edited by User 905133
edits
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

I don't think I have printed out music from SONAR/Cakewalk in 15-20, but I followed these instructions and they worked.

Interesting.  Thanks for quick reply.  I know Cakewalk wants me to update and sometimes that causes a problem.  I'm going to update and see if that fixes it.

Done.  No joy.  I updated and it still doesn't let me Print Preview.  Can you detail a little more how you tested and it worked?