I bought a Behringer

Jack Stoner

I have a couple Focusrite Pres. Ive also had a few Behringer Pres in my lifetime as well. There's something about an Audio track recorded with a good Pre amp, it stands out, warmth. My favorite is pushing the pre amp. It gives me that happy feeling like I get when I heat up the tubes on my Marshall.

Mark mentioned the GAP 73 earlier, to me this seems to be one of the better deals for the price. You can get them used for under 2 bills at times (especially around January, February when used inventory is being pushed out). And they add that grit, warmth. I have a Focusrite ISA One and it is one of the most used tools I have now. Since most of my recordings are done multi tracked (one at a time) this thing is the Swiss army knife of pre amps. I just wish the input stage could be better controlled.

• 2 weeks later...

Update after doing two recording sessions with the Behringer.  The only thing I "hear" is a difference in preamps between the Behringer's MIDAS preamps and the preamps in the MOTU 4pre.  The Behringer's preamps sound "sterile" for instruments compared to the MOTU's.    By "sterile" I guess the best comparison is most solid state P.A. amps are very linear and clean - too clean to be used for a musical instrument amp.    I once had a "stereo" amp setup for my Pedal Steel, a Peavey Transtube Fex for preamp and effects and separate power amp.  I tried two different P.A. power amps and hated the sound.  Found an old Mosvalve 500 power amp designed for guitar amplification and that was the missing sound.   

But the Behringer did the job,  a little EQ on the guitars and steel made the sessions work.