NVIDIA Video for DAW

Jack Stoner

16 minutes ago, HIBI said:

As far as I know, the MSI RTX 3060 VENTUS 2X 12G OC has a function called "ZERO FROZR" that automatically stops the fans completely at relatively low temperatures.

6 minutes ago, Jim Roseberry said:

I tend to prefer Asus and Gigabyte.

Thanks HIBI and Jim! The MSI that HIBI mentioned does seem to slow the fans at lower temperatures. I'm going to trust Jim's judgement and go with a Gigabyte card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060. It has a lot of reviews that specifically mention how quiet it is. 

19 minutes ago, Sal Sorice said:

The MSI that HIBI mentioned does seem to slow the fans at lower temperatures.

FYI, the MSI link I provided says "The fans completely stop when temperatures are relatively low.".
Anyway, it's your choice. 🙂

35 minutes ago, HIBI said:

FYI, the MSI link I provided says "The fans completely stop when temperatures are relatively low.".
Anyway, it's your choice. 🙂

Yeah, saw that - thanks.. I've used Gigabyte motherboards in the past and they worked well so I'll give them a shot.

Just saw reference to this NVIDIA custom installer.  I have AMD Radeon so I can't test it.

NVCleanstall v1.16.0 Download | TechPowerUp

NVCleanstall lets you customize the NVIDIA GeForce Driver package by removing components that you don't need (or want). This not only keeps things tidy, but also lowers disk usage and memory footprint.

Unlike the NVIDIA custom installation, you can unselect packages like "Stereo 3D Glasses", "USB-C", Notebook Optimizations or Telemetry from the NVIDIA drivers.

Edited by Jack Stoner

Always had nvidia cards, and always accidentally found the most ludicrous fixes for weird bugs I found in my DAW. One was connecting the card to the correct PCIE slot due to different powers between the slots - something you wouldn't normally think you'd have to worry about when shoving a thick juicy graphics card just to load a bit of video in a DAW project...

On 8/10/2023 at 2:29 PM, Jim Roseberry said:

I tend to prefer Asus and Gigabyte.

On 8/12/2023 at 10:35 AM, Jack Stoner said:

Just saw reference to this NVIDIA custom installer.  I have AMD Radeon so I can't test it.

NVCleanstall v1.16.0 Download | TechPowerUp

NVCleanstall lets you customize the NVIDIA GeForce Driver package by removing components that you don't need (or want). This not only keeps things tidy, but also lowers disk usage and memory footprint.

Unlike the NVIDIA custom installation, you can unselect packages like "Stereo 3D Glasses", "USB-C", Notebook Optimizations or Telemetry from the NVIDIA drivers.

Bleh. Having same issue as last time I tried a dedicated Video Card.

image.thumb.png.71eaf3c6a39f2fead9f15a6f6f7bfcc5.png

Not sure if it's something I'm doing wrong or need to adjust? I installed the Gigabyte RTX 3060 card and installed minimum stuff using their installer. Even did a re-install using the NVCleanInstall option (thanks Jack Stoner).

LatencyMon showing NVIDIA as the culprit. 

Samsung and one of the Sony TV's are connected to HDMI ports on GTX 3060.
One Sony is connected via an active Display Port to HDMI cable (all TVs have HDMI only and GTX3060 has 2 HDMI and 2 DP).
All displays look great and are at native resolutions (3840x2160, 60Hz).  Samsung is in Landscape and Sony's are in Portrait.

I'm not gamer, etc. and am not at all savvy when it comes to GPU's.

Any suggestions? Should I disable on-board graphics (or does that even mater)? Using a pretty powerful PC, dedicated to just running Cakewalk.

Win10 Pro 64-bit
Intel i9-10850K @3.60GHz, Comet Lake 14nm, 10 Cores
ASRock Z490 Extreme4 Motherboard
128GB RAM
(2) 2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe Drives
(1) 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD
(1) 4TB Crucial CT4000MX500SSD1 SSD
Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 3rd Gen
Realtek 2.5GbE Controller
Samsung 55" Crystal 4k UHD AU 8000 HDR TV, UN55AU8000FXZA, 2021 Model, 3840x2160
(2) Sony 43" X85K Ultra HD TV's (KD43X85K), 2022 Model

Jim Roseberry - a paid consultation might be needed!  :^)