Multiple Channels on one MIDI port

StratosWave

So I'm trying to use a program called Midinous with Cakewalk. Midinouse acts as a virtual midi device which I have added in Cakewalk (sends MIDI data). From there I created an instrument track and set it to listen to "Midinouse Port: MIDI Ch. 1". Then I setup a second instrument track and set it to listen to "Midinouse Port: MIDI Ch. 2". I have assigned some of the MIDI Data from Midinous to channel 1 and some to channel 2. Problem is, when the data from Midinous comes into Cakewalk it only plays on the most recently created instrument track. The developer's comment was that "Some DAWs can't handle multiple channels on one midi port". Can anyone help me figure out why this isn't working?

• Like 1

I use Notemapper to split midi data to multiple midi channels on one port so yeah, it can be done in CbB. I use Notemapper as a simple instrument track.

I also use multiple midi tracks on their own midi channels to Kontakt on one port so yeah, it can be done.

Do you have input echo latched on for all your individual instrument tracks?

MIDI input assignments in CbB are either all channels (Omni) or one channel for a MIDI port.

Code42 notemapper is a nice tool. Been around for years.

CbB drum maps may work too. Use the Track Inspector (MIDI tab "T" below) output drop down (between "I" and "J" below) to change the MIDI output to the drum map. Drum maps need updating along with their name as they are not exclusively for drums.

Inspectors.3.4.png

16 minutes ago, Base 57 said:

Be sure that Input Echo is turned on for each instrument track.

Yeah, best when getting fancy with MIDI routing to disable Always Echo Current MIDI Track and get familiar with manually controlling input echo. 

"Always Echo" is one of the few defaults I still turn off and leave off but if one keeps it simple, "Always Echo" is convenient.

• Like 3
  • Great Idea 1