Monitor through interface plus computer speakers?

Sorry if this is a basic computer question but I just realized I could use my built-in laptop computer speakers for a Lo-Fi comparison on the final mix, but I can't figure out how to enable both interface and Lo-Fi and be able to switch between the two without going into settings each time. I'm on Windows 10 and my interface is a focusrite Scarlett i18 8. It looks like in Windows settings I either have to choose one or the other for the output. Am I missing something obvious? Thanks!

To answer your question no you can’t use them both at the same time . You have reconfigure Cakewalk driver settings.  
What  I do is I have a Bluetooth speaker and that can co exist with my interfaces for some reason. Not with Cakewalk playback but as said above I export the mix and use media player. I simply turn the Bluetooth speaker on and it plays. If  I then turn it off Media Player returns to my interface and studio monitors. 
Another set up I had before was a pair of computer speakers connected to my headphone jack. 

• Like 2

I'm not sure I understand the question. So I'll tell you what I do. I too have a Focusrite audio interface. The Cakewalk Master bus output is routed to the Focusrite Monitor output.  I don't mess with that. 

The Windows 10 audio output is routed separately to, in your case, the laptop speakers. But other routing options exist like Bluetooth. The selection is made using the little speaker 🔊 icon on the tool bar.

To test a mix, I export it as a 16/44.1 wave file and use the Windows Media player which uses output selected with the little speaker 🔊 icon.

Here's what I figured out thanks to all of your input, keep CBB routed to the audio interface. I then export an MP3, turn off the interface and just enable the laptop speakers and get a good Lo-Fi comparison. Before I was having to send the mp3 over to my tablet but that sounds about the same as the laptop speakers, i.e tinny which is what I want for the Lo-Fi comparison. Thank you to everyone I love this group.

• Like 1

You know, with a multi-out interface like the 18i8, you can actually get quite creative with your monitoring options. Of course, it may require a lot of adapter cabling, and experience with your various devices, but options abound, since Cakewalk can use any or all of the available outputs on an I/O device like that. The key is in the routing, and your use of it. -But unless you have a real need for it - I still recommend simplest as the best.

So - for instance: I currently use my 2ond headphone output as a feed for audio to an AV mixer for streaming or recording from my audio interface while using Cakewalk. That could just as well be routed to a boom box, or any other device with line input, with a bit of experimenting, and again cabling.  Or, the line outputs on the 18i8 could be used that way just as well, and though I can't recommend it, even plugged back into the laptop (if it has an audio i/o jack and you get the impedances to match, etc.) audio for that lo-fi comparison (probably very lo-fi in that case!). -All of that is only experimental though - (like for when you are really bored 🤓 ), and watch out for mutli-out latency issues, of course, so again, simplest is usually best. -But sometimes it's worth the adventure! Use those multi-outs!

And @charles kasler - it's great to have people that follow up on their posts!  Great to learn from all these good suggestions & info here.

Edited by JnTuneTech
  • Like 1

And don’t forget SonoBus   It’s an app that you both install on a Cell Phone or Tablet as well as a Plug in. You plunk it in the master bus as the last effect in the chain. It uses the internet to send the mix to your mobile device.  
  Just a quick question? Why do people still use MP3 and 44.1?  It seems so year 2000 to me.  

https://sonobus.net

Edited by JohnnyV
  • Like 1