Shift all tempos Start Times by 150%

rashidDrums

Greetings! Is it possible to shift (move) all tempos Start Times by 150% (or other margin)? Not the values, but their start times.

For example:

Tempo1 @ 1:01:000

Tempo2 @ 1:02:000

Tempo3 @ 1:03:000

Would become (at 480 ticks per beat resolution)

Tempo1 @ 1:01:000

Tempo2 @ 1:02:240

Tempo3 @ 1:04:000

The reason I want to do so is I have to change Meter (time signature) from 4/4 to 12/8 and Length of all notes by 150% (Start Times and Durations) to compensate it. I also have to change tempos proportionally (shift to new positions and increase 1.5x). And while Tempo values could easily be increased using Fit to Time instrument, I can't shift their start times...

Is it possible at all? Thank you.

2023-06-23 02_08_07-Window.png

Maybe there's another way to do what I want to do, but I can't figure out how.

I have a midi file where instrument track was incorrectly typed in 4/4 time signature bars where it should be 12/8. It sounds ok but looks terrible due to the fact everything is done in 8th and 16th triplets. I want to change it to 12/8 preserving everything else (notes, tempo changes and overall play time).

Edited by rashidDrums
typos fix

You should be able to do a CAL script to move the notes like that.

- so manually change time signature

- but nothing to make changes to tempo map AFAIK

but to keep one original midi track you should be able to lock data and position, I think.

- and use this as original and let CAL script create a new track with modified note positions or length or whatever

but if you save any time with just this project is another matter.

Here is a resource for CAL scripts

https://www.hexachord.net/cakewalk-cal-scripts/

if any is close enough to just modify a bit for your purpose.

You can calculate ticks from start, where your selection starts that is.

- I think you can just multiply position each note ticks by 1.5

- but there is a tricky part to do on the same clip, since moving things forward in time makes you end up on those later again

- so copy to a new clip on a new track I believe is the way to go

Since tempos can be part of midi files, there might be a tool to modify those in another application.

Save a project as midi file, and then open again after modification.

- guessing here quite a bit how well that works

In Sonar 4 not having snap grid on triplets I used to do similar stuff. Increase tempo by 150% and signature 12/8.

You say not looking good, snap grid with triplets not ok?

- you should get grid lines at triplets to see alignment

Just some ideas anyway...

Edited by Larioso

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/23/2023 at 10:17 PM, reginaldStjohn said:

Are you running an old version of Sonar? That temp view has been changed in Cakewalk by Bandlab. It now has nodes and looks like an envelope. Much easier to change where things are.

Yes, I'm running 8.5. But I guess newer versions don't have the solution either.

On 6/27/2023 at 3:55 PM, Larioso said:

You should be able to do a CAL script to move the notes like that.

- so manually change time signature

- but nothing to make changes to tempo map AFAIK

I don't know CAL. To learn it from scratch right now is too complex. It's easier to manually move 350 tempos, especially if the results with CAL not guaranteed. Anyway thanks for advice!

I can't see any way of doing this to be honest, even CAL doesn't give access to tempo entries.

Short of manually editing the entries starting from the end, the only other way would be to export as a MIDI file and hope there's some other 3rd party utility/DAW to move the tempo entries around for you.

Alternatively you could write your own utility... but it would require both programming experience and experience in reading/writing MIDI files.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2023 at 3:52 PM, msmcleod said:

I can't see any way of doing this to be honest, even CAL doesn't give access to tempo entries.

Do you think there is a DAW (or MIDI editor like Sekaiju) in which this operation is possible? Steinberg products? Just curious.

On 7/16/2023 at 3:52 PM, msmcleod said:

Alternatively you could write your own utility... but it would require both programming experience and experience in reading/writing MIDI files.

Yes, in case of multiple files would be worth it. 

Edited by rashidDrums