Load old Cakewalk/Sonar version in VM and export Instruments/FX?

Sal Sorice

I bought licenses for many Cakewalk/Sonar versions over the years and have access to them through my Command Center account. Unfortunately, I did not know about the best install sequence (older versions first / CbB last) so that you get access to all the plugins that came with the older versions - and I'm too far in to consider a fresh install of Windows 10/11.

Question:

Would it be possible to install the older versions in a Windows Hyper-V Virtual Machine, export the plugins/FX (or copy the relevant DLL, etc. files), then import them into CbB? Has anyone done/tried that?

No need for a fresh install of Windows.

Re-run the Cakewalk installers as needed, use full or advanced install options as desired and if you end up installing a legacy Cakewalk DAW (the actual DAW itself not just the plug-ins only from an advanced install) make sure to re-run the CbB install when done.

Here is a more detailed discussion including a link io a legacy plug-in spreadsheet

They say you need to install CbB last but on one machine I have I installed 8.5 and X3 much later on and nothing happened. I think it’s something like personal preferences get overwritten.
I Unchecked everything but the plug ins I wanted during the install using the custom install option.  
And Command Center can most certainly be installed later and run.  
I have all the goodies from that backed up in a dozen places so no need to re download. 

26 minutes ago, scook said:

No need for a fresh install of Windows or anything for that matter.

Re-run the Cakewalk installers as needed, use full or advanced install options as desired and if you end up installing a legacy Cakewalk DAW (the actual DAW itself not just the plug-ins only from an advanced install) make sure to re-run the CbB install when done.

If that is too much, just run the legacy installers any way you want and always re-install CbB when done running legacy installers.

Here is a more detailed discussion including a link io a legacy plug-in spreadsheet

Thanks scook! I did a search and did not find that topic - sorry for the redundancy! I'll test it out. With all the changes happening want to make sure I get access to all the older stuff I paid for before they possibly disappear...

Hi, I just started to install everything on a new laptop. My Command Center does not work. It does not get the connection to the cakewalk website. Anybody else facing this?

Do I now have to do all the installations manually?

Any help is appreciated!

Best regards, Peter

11 minutes ago, Peter Mangold said:

Hi, I just started to install everything on a new laptop. My Command Center does not work. It does not get the connection to the cakewalk website. Anybody else facing this?

Do I now have to do all the installations manually?

Any help is appreciated!

Best regards, Peter

Command Center offline for me as well. Uh oh...