"Stop with Now Marker" Stopped Working

Tim Elmore

Until yesterday, when pressed Ctrl+Space, the transport would stop and move the Now marker to the location where I stopped. But now when I press Ctrl+Space, nothing happens.  In Preferences, Ctrl+Space is bound to "Stop with Now Marker":

image.png.497bf8863861093e5bdd1939cb481197.png

However, when the transport is running and I press Ctrl+Space, it doesn't stop. It keeps running. I checked to make sure the focus is on Track View and no dialog or message boxes are showing. Pressing the space bar by itself still stops the transport and returns to the original Now time, but there is no response to Ctrl+Space.

I am using CbB 2022.11 and have Workspaces set to None. What could I be overlooking?

The default behavior is that pressing either Space or Ctrl+Space starts the transport. While the transport is running, pressing Space stops the transport and returns it to where it was when the transport was started. Pressing Ctrl+Space stops the transport and leaves the play position at the location where it was stopped.

Pressing Ctrl+w swaps the behavior of Space and Ctrl+Space. It looks like that is how you have it set. I sometimes set it like that myself, depending on what I am doing.

My problem was that pressing Ctrl-Space did nothing. It would not start or stop the transport at all. Now, after a few CbB restarts, it is back to normal again. I verified that I don't have any AutoHotKey or PowerToys shortcuts for Ctrl+Space. I might never find out why it temporarily stopped working. Right now, everything is fine again.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sjoens said:

FWIW, Ctrl+Space is used to re-set the Now Time Marker when stopping transport. Preferences lists Ctrl+Space as "Stop with Now Marker" but not "Start" so I wonder if using it to start playback is simply ignoring the Ctrl key and only responding to the Space key. https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Playback.07.html

I think you're right. It makes no difference whether I start the transport using Space or Ctrl+Space. What matters is the key combination used for stopping.

It's interesting that, during the time Ctrl+Space didn't work, I verified that Ctrl+Space was assigned to "Stop with Now Marker." Then I went to Preferences >> Keyboard Shortcuts, clicked the Locate Key button, and pressed Ctrl+Space. There was no response.  It was as though some Windows app was grabbing Ctrl+Space and it didn't reach Cakewalk.

Some time after that, the problem went away and Ctrl+Space now works as it should.