Master/Bus B issue

brandon

Hi - at this stage of my current project I have Drums, Bass, Guitar and Synth pad audio tracks all routed to the Master bus. 

I then have 6 vocal tracks (5 muted) routed to Bus B and then on to the Master.

However when I turn down the Master Bus to zero I can still hear the bass, guitar and synth pad (no drums) playing (although a lot quieter). 

Secondly when I turn the volume down on Bus B the vocal effects slowly diminish with volume to a dry vocal. 

Can anyone suggest a reason for this or is there a glaring error I have not noticed? Many thanks

image.thumb.png.6d56f50aaaaf33cc46a7db37d4b367c2.png

53 minutes ago, brandon said:

Hi - at this stage of my current project I have Drums, Bass, Guitar and Synth pad audio tracks all routed to the Master bus. 

I then have 6 vocal tracks (5 muted) routed to Bus B and then on to the Master.

However when I turn down the Master Bus to zero I can still hear the bass, guitar and synth pad (no drums) playing (although a lot quieter). 

Check the output of all of your buses/tracks - one of them may be routed directly to the audio interface.

53 minutes ago, brandon said:

Secondly when I turn the volume down on Bus B the vocal effects slowly diminish with volume to a dry vocal. 

This depends on your routing.  If Bus B has the vocal reverb on it, then that makes total sense - you're turning the whole reverb bus down.  If however, you have a send from Bus B to a separate reverb bus,  it'll be because you've got the send set to post-fader rather than pre-fader. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Check the output of all of your buses/tracks - one of them may be routed directly to the audio interface.

This depends on your routing.  If Bus B has the vocal reverb on it, then that makes total sense - you're turning the whole reverb bus down.  If however, you have a send from Bus B to a separate reverb bus,  it'll be because you've got the send set to post-fader rather than pre-fader. 

Re the Bus B issue - Bu B does have vocal reverb on it but would i lose the reverb effect just because i turn the volume down?

Thanks

Edited by brandon

14 minutes ago, brandon said:

Re the Bus B issue - Bu B does have vocal reverb on it but would i lose the reverb effect just because i turn the volume down?

Thanks

The fader on Bus B controls the level of everything that is coming out Bus B, so yes.  The only exception to this is any pre-fader sends from Bus B to anywhere else.

2 minutes ago, Klaus said:

Route the Output of your tracks to Master and Bus B.

Then delete the Sends on these tracks.

Would  I do this through the Pro Channel strip then delete the sends in the Console view? And would I route the vocals to Master THEN to Bus B? In that order?

Edited by brandon

Yes, you can change them in the Inspector or use "Views" - "In/Out" in Console View.

Your tracks maybe already routet to the Master Bus (default), so you doubled the Volume by using the additional sends.

8 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

The fader on Bus B controls the level of everything that is coming out Bus B, so yes.  The only exception to this is any pre-fader sends from Bus B to anywhere else.

Another thing  i noticed is that although the Vocals are being routed through Bus B then onto the Master. When  I turn the Master (volume) down I can still hear dry vocals. 

Also I havent used the dropdown send that says 'None' in image below. Can anyone state what this is and when i would probably use it?

image.png.ea856d7e5be108675f49b794e859c2d1.png

Edited by brandon

1 hour ago, brandon said:

Another thing  i noticed is that although the Vocals are being routed through Bus B then onto the Master. When  I turn the Master (volume) down I can still hear dry vocals. 

Also I havent used the dropdown send that says 'None' in image below. Can anyone state what this is and when i would probably use it?

image.png.ea856d7e5be108675f49b794e859c2d1.png

Right the bottom of your Vocal channel strip are two slots. One with the letter "I" (for input) and one with the letter "O" (for Output) click on the slot with the letter "O" (output) and in the drop down menu that will appear, choose you Master Bus.