Digitech RP500

Robert Hale

I worked several years hosting  open mic events.  Now that I am learning about interfaces I want to ask:

The Digitech RP 500 has USB output. Other than multi-effects for guitar, what role can it play in my connecting devices?

RP500-top-past-product-1200x1200-1.jpg

Edited by Robert Hale

That USB is just to output from the unit (and edit parameters in the unit from a PC), it is not an audio interface. Per the manual "8. USB Jack The USB jack connects the RP500 to a computer and provides two purposes. First it is used to provide communication between the RP500 and the X-Edit editor librarian software. Second, it is used to stream four channels of audio (2 up / 2 back) to and from the computer when using the RP500 to record with the included Cubase LE4 recording software. Refer to the RP500 Software Installation Guide and Cubase LE4 online documentation on proper setup for this use." I have a couple predecessors and they function the same way.

Are you trying to record events or use for hosting? For just hosting, a better bet is to get a decent PA system that can house the channels you may need. For recording, you could either take output from that (which will limit post-production drastically), or get an audio interface with enough channels (but would require some PA-like system anyway).

Just so folks can understand your situation, what are you looking to do?

I have a POD XT Live which I use for this specific purpose. Sure, amp sims are fun and all, but I've had this floor unit for 10+ years and I know it inside out and how to get tones out of it. In my specific case, I output the POD output to one input of my audio interface whilst using the option to send the clean signal at the same time. Or, I use it as a pedalboard for the effects it has into an amp sim of choice.

I am pretty sure that does not output a DI signal (both a processed and clean signal from the unit), just to be clear. I checked the manual quick, and didn't see that capability. There are processors that will output both, which is convenient if you want to tweak or even re-amp them inside the DAW.

Edited by mettelus

On 4/24/2023 at 7:06 PM, mettelus said:

I am pretty sure that does not output a DI signal (both a processed and clean signal from the unit), just to be clear. I checked the manual quick, and didn't see that capability. There are processors that will output both, which is convenient if you want to tweak or even re-amp them inside the DAW.

In that case, you'll have to test it. I couldn't find anything on the unit either and don't have access to one for testing either.  In case you can't, it might still be useful as an external effect or just for effects in front of the signal before it hits an amp sim or similar.

I have an older GNX3000 which seems a similar unit. It only served as a combination FX pedal (processed output). Internal DI paths and especially audio interface capability are on pricier units. I use a HELIX Floor now, but honestly do not use the interface functionality on it.

As @Byron Dickens mentioned first off, if you are going to run audio into a DAW, a good audio interface is required (comes with its own ASIO drivers). I would not recommend looking for that capability in another piece of hardware. Standalone audio interfaces are going to be more useful to you and much cheaper.

8 hours ago, mettelus said:

I have an older GNX3000 which seems a similar unit. It only served as a combination FX pedal (processed output). Internal DI paths and especially audio interface capability are on pricier units. I use a HELIX Floor now, but honestly do not use the interface functionality on it.

As @Byron Dickens mentioned first off, if you are going to run audio into a DAW, a good audio interface is required (comes with its own ASIO drivers). I would not recommend looking for that capability in another piece of hardware. Standalone audio interfaces are going to be more useful to you and much cheaper.

Could be useful in case you don't have any other way of patching the whole thing into a loop.