Automate MIDI output + disabling unused VSTs?

Ugo Fantozzi

Hello,

I'm trying to use Cakewalk in a live situation on stage with my keyboard.

I have many VST synths loaded each in a separate audio track.

I have one MIDI track that receives the input from my hardware keyboard and sends it to a specific track via "Output".

Is there a way I could automate this output? This way I could make Cakewalk switch my synths automatically before and during a song.

Also, is there a way to automate FX Racks ON/OFF in a specific channel? This way you could disable a VST plugin and save CPU power.

I use Cakewalk for live keyboards Simple. Insert all the instruments you want as simple instrument tracks.

Assign each a midi channel 

Activate global input echo

Now all you do is change channels on your keyboard controller.  

Just one important thing. Always have the keyboard connected and turned on before you boot Cakewalk. 
Been using this all winter at practice and a few gigs using a cheap laptop and on board audio ,, always works. 
I also set up midi learn to control the volume and an effects send to a chorus effect.

The limit is 16 channels but I’m not playing in Pink Floyd  so I’m only needing 7 instruments. 

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, John Vere said:

Now all you do is change channels on your keyboard controller.  

Interesting approach, but it is missing the crucial part: how to automate instrument changes. We would need backing tracks so it automatically changes VST instruments, maybe also our external gear via MIDI.

7 hours ago, John Vere said:

When you arm a track for automation all the things that can be automated turn red. Mute is one of them. 

Unfortunately this is not true, you can't automate Mute. Only Volume, Pan and Sends.

The thing is, that I would like to automate the whole song "setup" inside a single arranger's section. This way I could jump between sections and Cakewalk would enable a certain VST on which I could play the keyboard while listening to the backing track of that section. Of course all the other song's VSTs must be disabled first.

Using the volume automation is not recomended, since you would be playing all instruments at once, they would just not sound, be quiet.. That would be a CPU killer.

Mute doesn’t unload a synth from the CPU anyway . I’m pretty sure of that.

You might need a higher buffer setting. 
Just be aware that projects with a lot of effects and higher buffer settings will add latency so you’re keyboard playing will struggle.  

But just so you know what does work and on a older 2014 laptop. I created  backing tracks with midi instruments but I export stems to create 4 sub mixes. Bass, Drums, Keyboards, Other stuff 

Using audio for backing tracks totally eliminates CPU issues. 

Then I created a project template with 4 Audio tracks for the sub mixes and my 7 keyboard VST’s.  

The only effect used is Loud max on the master bus. 

This set up allows me to have the options of muting as well as routing of those 4 parts for different bands I play in.  

Someday I’ll purchase a midi lighting controller. I have a Yamaha 01v digital mixer that I could also control with midi which would automate solos and effects. But that’s a lot of prep work.  

Then I created a playlist for the performance .  

I haven’t used it live yet but I’ve certainly practiced a lot and so far no issues.  I often change channels mid song. And I always use the volume which I should really get an expression pedal for.

Edited by John Vere

I found

5 hours ago, Andres Medina said:

Yes, you can. See pic -

Oh, what do you know, we learn a new thing each day!

Well, I found out a way to do it:

- Install a virtual MIDI cable driver, I've installed the free "loopMIDI". Inside it create one virtual loopback MIDI port.

- In Cakewalk's MIDI devices set the loopMIDI for IN and OUT (this way everything you send out will return back to Cakewalk)

- Create a MIDI channel that is ment for automation only. Set the MIDI out to "loopback MIDI port" on channel 16

- Insert an instrument track with a VST instrument. Set the MIDI in to your MIDI master keyboard.

- Right click on the track's "Input Echo" button and click on "Remote Control"

- Set the Remote control to "Controller", value 1 on MIDI channel 16. This way it would receive messages from loopback MIDI port only.

- Now go back to your first MIDI track and create an automation lane for MIDI->Control->Value: 1->Channel: 16

- Draw the envelope over the songs where you want your instrument to be enabled.

- Do this for every VST instrument/track, just set the Remote control on different control values for each of them.

- You could also send individual commands in Event View. This is useful if you want to turn off every VST track, for example on the beginning of each song. Just to be sure that a wrong sound is not turned on by mistake.

The cool thing is, that you can drag-drop you section (song) left and right and the envelopes move with it. You can rearrange the playlist as you need, or use the Arranger sidebar.

• Like 1

I know of several bands that use Cakewalk to automate their whole show from backing tracks, keyboards to running the whole lighting rig. If it can be controlled by MIDI CbB can do it.

The real question is should you as you’re placing a lot of faith in the venue’s electrical system,  your computer’s reliability and opening yourself up to Murphy’s law. Of course there are ways to mitigate the risks but it’s not for the faint hearted.

One group in particular, Kicksville, have used Sonar extensively to do the above. 

Here are some links.

www.kicksville.com
www.kicksville.bandcamp.com
www.youtube.com/kicksvillevideo

The Kicksville Story.pdf

Always have a backup plan and always have 2 of everything.

I have always kept a old suitcase I leave in my vehicle I call it the redundancy bag. It has extra cables, mikes, mike clips batteries, strings,  and an old mini disk player with ( old) backing tracks on it.And a complete tool kit including soldering iron.  All lot of stuff.  

I bring 2 guitars. 2 laptops both loaded with current playlist both connected to PA , tested and ready to go.  
If my guitar amp fails I can survive using the mixer. If the mixer fails I have 6 inputs available on my powered speakers.  None of this has ever been deployed other than a few broken guitar strings in my 30 years as a one man show.  

The importance of being prepared is because the people who hired you are dependent on you and expect music to happen with no exception.
The power has gone out on us a few times and I would grab my acoustic guitar ( yes that’s the second guitar) and go out on the dance floor and start pounding out Elvis rockabilly. One place had an piano I made a total fool of myself but people party on in the spirit of it all. 

I was at a Wedding once were this Amateur DJ blew up his home stereo speakers during the first dance. End of party. He just stood there and did nothing. I did not feel sorry for him he was an idiot.  

Edited by John Vere