Please point me to list of win10 daw optimization

Keni

Hi Gang...

OK,The new system is running a bit like a truck. Trying to remember and find the things needed to optimize for DAW use as this is my first win10 system requiring the power...

I’ve disabled all audio drivers except that for my interface (needs replacing only old usb2). I have separate drives for system, music, and instrument samples for such as Superior Drummer.

Should I (need I) turn off file indexing on any/all drives? I remember doing that in the past.

A pointer to info on win10 daw tweaking would be very appreciated.

Thanks

22 hours ago, rsinger said:

NP. I turn off indexing on all drives. I don't mind if searches take a bit longer if my audio is snappy.

Is there an advantage on the C drive as well?

I'm rockin' great here right now using two external USB3 SSDs for audio and Instrument libraries and discovered a method of getting VSL (from Presonus and necessary to use audiobox 1818vsl, but stopped working when win10 arrived) working on windows 10! I'm floored as I really love what they did up to that point... Got Melodyne installed and updated to 5 at last! Abbey Road Studio 3 updated version! The list goes on. It's a whole new playworld for me with all the best of my collected past!

No matter... I digress.

Bottom line? All the tips have turned a truck into a race car!

I'm a happy camper... for the moment...? 🙂

1 hour ago, Keni said:

Is there an advantage on the C drive as well?

That will depend on how your drives are organized. I don't know windows internals, but I would think files get indexed when they're created or modified. If you only have system files on the C drive then it probably doesn't matter.

2 hours ago, rsinger said:

That will depend on how your drives are organized. I don't know windows internals, but I would think files get indexed when they're created or modified. If you only have system files on the C drive then it probably doesn't matter.

I have programs as well, but no audio/video (except for finished mixes) on my system drive. I guess it's ok to leave that drive indexed. I don't care about the search speed much as I rarely need it either...