Disable sustain effect when recording using keyboard?

JonnyHeyhey

Question

Hi, I have a px-130 privia casio keyboard and recently I could not stop it from automatically activating the sustain pedal effect whether the pedal is plugged in or not....I imagine it's caused by the new power adapter I brought for the keyboard as the previous one had electrical damage from a recent house flood..but am not sure hmm.

I would like  to plug in the keyboard into the daw and play sounds from my vsts in cakewalk using keyboard without the sustain...so I want to disable the pedal effect from this keyboard and use another pedal using my pedal to usb device instead.

Can this be easily done?

Thanks

Edited by JonnyHeyhey

5 answers to this question

5 hours ago, JonnyHeyhey said:

I could not stop it from automatically activating the sustain pedal effect whether the pedal is plugged in or not

Seems that your midi instrument is stuck in a Pedal ON midi command. It could make the sustain pedal always on, even without a sustain pedal connected.

A way to fix it could be to draw a cc64 controller that takes back the instrument to OFF.

• Great Idea 1

Hi guys, thanks for your help.

To rephrase my problem, if one were to play the keyboard while pressing the sustain pedal, is there a way to make cakewalk ignore the pedal?

And how do I "draw a cc64 controller" are you talking about drawing a line on the midi channel to turn it off?

Edited by JonnyHeyhey

7 minutes ago, JonnyHeyhey said:

To rephrase my problem, if one were to play the keyboard while pressing the sustain pedal, is there a way to make cakewalk ignore the pedal?

There are two ways that I can think of.  In the MIDI track, you can put an instance of the Cakewalk FX MIDI Event filter to filter out C64 events

This will still record the cc64 events.  However, when correctly configured, it can prevent the cc64 events from reaching the synth.  Of course, this will only work if your Casio is actually generating CC64 events in the first place and that there is not something else causing the sustained notes (like a high CC72 value).

Another option I can think of is to go into Preferences - MIDI - Playback and Recording and under “record”, deselect “Controller”.  However, this prevents all controllers (not just CC64) from being recorded, so you may not want this

7 minutes ago, JonnyHeyhey said:

And how do I "draw a cc64 controller" are you talking about drawing a line on the midi channel to turn it off?

I think the reference there is in the Piano Roll View with the controller lanes visible.

You might want to go into the Event List View to see if there are actually some C64 > 127 events even present.  While you are there, you could add a C64 > 0 event to turn of any sustains that might be active.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Promidi said:

There are two ways that I can think of.  In the MIDI track, you can put an instance of the Cakewalk FX MIDI Event filter to filter out C64 events

This will still record the cc64 events.  However, when correctly configured, it can prevent the cc64 events from reaching the synth.  Of course, this will only work if your Casio is actually generating CC64 events in the first place and that there is not something else causing the sustained notes (like a high CC72 value).

Another option I can think of is to go into Preferences - MIDI - Playback and Recording and under “record”, deselect “Controller”.  However, this prevents all controllers (not just CC64) from being recorded, so you may not want this

I think the reference there is in the Piano Roll View with the controller lanes visible.

You might want to go into the Event List View to see if there are actually some C64 > 127 events even present.  While you are there, you could add a C64 > 0 event to turn of any sustains that might be active.

Thanks for the great tips!!!