unexpected audio stretch on track follows project

Hi,

I wanted the metronom click to be in sync with a recorded audio with slight tempo variations and also to be able to change the tempo consistently.

All instructions I found said: see that the transients are correct and adjust the clip's tempo map. Then set project tempo from clip, after that set the track to follow the project.

Tried and was surprised that bits of the audio get stretched. How come? Should the tempo map not be the one taken from the clip and as such perfectly in sync?

Thanks

H

@reginaldStjohn, yes, works okayish, as long as I do not have too many tempo variations and don't want to slow down or speed up. Seems to be the opposite of easy, at least without Melodyne.

I tried AudioSnap, put in quite some time to make sure enough important transients were good, meticulously corrected the clip's time map and created one okay version with the clip starting at the very beginning. Then I was foolish enough to try and move the clip and set the project tempo from the clip again. All damaged. And, even worse, the clip's time map is scambled. Also, a clip time map seemingly gets deleted when I save and reopen a project.

My current conclusion - I cannot use this. Whether it is me who is too stupid or AudioSnap, I cannot yet tell. Running out of patience, alas. I admit to being rather new to this DAW. But I am in IT all my life plus studied physics. I do understand the general problem, but not what this software does. I think I shall give up.

Thank you for your replies!

Edited by Henrik Zawischa

Once the project tempo is well-aligned to the audio, you should set the Follow Option to Auto Stretch before enabling Clip Follows Project and making manual changes to the tempos. Other modes will try to re-align transient markers to the timeline again which may result in some immediate stretching, especially if the mode is different from that used to Set the Project from the clip.  Autostretch mode won't stretch any audio until you make tempo changes, and then will just uniformlyl stretch the clip between tempo changes without regard to transient markers which will tend to be more transparent.

Edited by David Baay
  • Thanks 2

On 3/7/2023 at 8:55 PM, John Vere said:

If you don't have Melodyne then Suffer.....Ha. 

Not sure why John said that. I have Melodyne Studio so I had a license before CbB. But AFAIK, you should have the entire level of Melodyne (which I think allows you to drag the track you want to set the project tempo to the time line), as long as, you selected the Melodyne Essential(?) option when you installed CbB. Once you've dragged the track to the timeline and Melodyne is done calculating, the project tempo map should match the tempo of the track you dragged to the timeline. 

• Like 1

@Bill Phillips I guess I should have used a smiley face I was just attempting to be funny. 
Things changed last fall am now Cakewalk no longer includes a free version of Melodyne. It only includes a demo that is good for 1 month I do believe. So drag and drop will no longer work until you purchase Melodyne. It’s on sale right now $99 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John Vere said:

@Bill Phillips I guess I should have used a smiley face I was just attempting to be funny. 
Things changed last fall am now Cakewalk no longer includes a free version of Melodyne. It only includes a demo that is good for 1 month I do believe. So drag and drop will no longer work until you purchase Melodyne. It’s on sale right now $99 

Thank you John for the correction. 

• Like 2