Video Card?

Sal Sorice

Question

Note: This is cross-posted from https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/forum/42-computer-systems/

I'm currently using on board Intel Graphics and am thinking of going with a dedicated video card. Noise is a pet peeve of mine, so that likely limits my choices. Not a gamer at all - this PC is for music only. 

Was looking at the AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100 100-505826 8GB 256-bit GDDR5 Video Card
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N8XS96E/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3KHIT95AWLP4N&psc=1

Any opinions? Would this improve performance? Though I'm not really having any issues, it seems like graphics could be better in Cakewalk.
I'm likely going to add a 3rd monitor or TV, so some of the options I saw above won't work.

Any other (quiet!) cards anyone can recommend?

Music PC Specs:

Win10 Pro 64-bit
Intel i9 @3.60GHz, Comet Lake 14nm
ASRock Z490 Extreme4 Motherboard
128GB RAM
(2) 2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe Drives
(1) 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD
(1) 4TB Crucial CT4000MX500SSD1 SSD
Focusrite Scarlett 8i6
Intel UHD Graphics 630
Samsung 55" Crystal 4k UHD AU 8000 HDR TV, UN55AU8000FXZA, 2021 Model, 3840x2160
Samsung 32" U32J59x Monitor, 3840x2160

On 3/8/2023 at 10:15 AM, Sal Sorice said:

Bleh. I installed the RTX3050 but am getting latency issue in LatencyMon that keeps pointing to the NVIDIA  Windows Kernel Mode Driver. Driver is latest one. Will probably remove and return it. I guess onboard graphics are good enough...

Did you disable the Nvidia audio driver in Windows device manager.

It will be one of the “High Definition Audio Controller“ entries under “System Devices”

I have a Nvidia GTX960 and I do not have latency issues in LatencyMon.

41 minutes ago, Promidi said:

Did you disable the Nvidia audio driver in Windows device manager.

It will be one of the “High Definition Audio Controller“ entries under “System Devices”

I have a Nvidia GTX960 and I do not have latency issues in LatencyMon.

Thanks Promidi. I think I did disable it but not positive. I ended up returning the card. Will stick with onboard graphics for now.

That is odd. I have had several nVidia graphics cards, and no issues that I can recall with LatencyMon.

Wow, searching for "RTX 3050 audio latency" turned up this nugget where the problem turned out to be what I call "tech support question #1."

Makes me want to go around and check all my HDMI cables, maybe hit them with DeOxit....

On a serious note, there do seem to be multiple users on nVidia's support board seeing issues (and solutions) with 3000 and 4000 series cards:

The first one is practically a call to arms, and the person lists a whole bunch of Reddit discussions about this issue:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/geforce-graphics-cards/5/508819/high-dpc-latency-rtx30004000-series-cards/

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/geforce-graphics-cards/5/507156/high-dpc-latency-caused-by-nvidia-driver-file-nvld/

It looks like the fix is the first thing I thought of, setting it to favor Performance over Power Saving (or Adaptive) in the nVidia Control Panel. But really, that should be a "hot rodding" tweak, not a necessary setting to keep your system from wildly glitching audio. Dang, nVidia. Their cards are the most recommended for audio work, and it looks like maybe they did something to break that. I guess because I'm a trailing edger who's back in the 1000 series I'm not going to see this. See also @Promidi's GTX960.

Multiple people in those threads mention switching back to their Intel integrated GPU's for audio work, just like @Sal Sorice did.

@Jim Roseberry, system integrator extraordinaire, have you heard anything about this?