Panning not Panning

King Burton

Question

Wrestling with this for months. Pan doesn't pan L/R. It fades volume to 0 as a volume control. Want to use 0 Center, Balance control. Switched to every setting no results. Converted track mono to stereo, +/- interleave every possible way.

I'm at a loss. Any ideas?

Cheers

King Burton

King Burton - I forgot to say, I also strongly suggest you try using the built-in Channel Tools plugin on your track(s) with the panning issue. -First, change the track to stereo interleave (Channel Tools is a stereo plugin), then see if you can insert Channel Tools into the FX bin.

From there, if nothing else, the plugin GUI should get you a visual confirmation of the output of the track at the point of that insert, and you should also be able to play with the panning (and more) from there, provided of course it is also routed out to a working stereo bus or output. Provided... some other voodoo isn't at work here!

[Bryant: Now there's a Nexus 6 over at the Tyrell Corporation. I want you to go put the machine on it. Deckard: And if the machine doesn't work? (Bryant - glassy-eyed, blank)] - That's me now! :) 

11 hours ago, King Burton said:

I use the prochannel section a lot. Channel Tools doesn't work at all.

If you mean "doesn't work" then that's a big problem, but if you mean you can't put it in to the Pro Channel, what you'd do is insert an FX Chain module and load the Channel Tools into there. Super useful module!

If you're willing to share the project, maybe someone could have a look at it and see what's going on?

• Great Idea 1

19 hours ago, reginaldStjohn said:

Check that you are not in offset mode like the original poster.

The button is NOT lit. I assume that is off.

11 hours ago, Lord Tim said:

If you mean "doesn't work" then that's a big problem, but if you mean you can't put it in to the Pro Channel, what you'd do is insert an FX Chain module and load the Channel Tools into there. Super useful module!

If you're willing to share the project, maybe someone could have a look at it and see what's going on?

I mean that you click on any Channel Tools button, there is no response, color change, audible change. BUT - I never use it anyway. Right now I need to pan tracks and I can't.

This morning did uninstall and re-install - no change. Uninstalled audio interface (Presonus Firestudio) and re-installed. No change. Reported to Support AGAIN - no response.

Again sending screen shots.

M&S Console View + Mix Module.png

M&S Driver Settings.png

M&S Track View.png

37 minutes ago, King Burton said:

I mean that you click on any Channel Tools button, there is no response, color change, audible change. BUT - I never use it anyway. Right now I need to pan tracks and I can't.

Wow, really confusing. Thanks for letting us know you re-installed. No one really loves having to do that.

Hey, I think you already confirmed - but do all of your projects do this? Even a new blank one? -This is important, because, figuring out if this is a per-project setting, an app-wide setting, or something even farther out of the picture, is critical. And, yes, I get that you have little time to experiment with this stuff, but does Channel Tools not work on any track or Bus, in every project?   Please - try creating a stereo bus for that track, for instance, put Channel tools on the bus, route the bad track (or Any track) output to that...   -I mean, that tool is very basic, and easily manages panning on any stereo assigned source, and if things like that don't work, other bigger problems exist on your system.   -Just sayin'...

Edited by JnTuneTech

Good morning, J. After all this effort to re-load, I pulled up an old, completed project and this issue is there. What that tells me is there is something with the software itself. Starting a new project, same. Followed instructions to CT. Got it to work - L/R sliders act as volume control.

Thanks for doing the test!  So, from my understanding, you are now working with no panning on anything using your setup. But somehow, certain things are already panned, but you can't change them, even with another plugin.

If that is indeed true, my guess would be that something in your OS, or somewhere in the install process, is corrupted, or corrupting Cakewalk. -No normal Cakewalk install on any normal system, at least that anyone else has reported so far, does this.

I don't know what else to suggest trying for an easy fix. -And I'm not knocking your efforts so far!

Endless reinstalling won't help you. This isn't a widespread thing or... well, I'd be out of a job for a start, this is crucial to what I do, and I'm sure the forums would be melting down if lots of people couldn't pan a track. And reinstalling software and expecting it to do something different one time isn't real - you've done everything possible here to make sure the installation is good, repeating that is pointless.

If this is happening on every project, including freshly made ones, there's obviously an issue somewhere, either with some config somewhere that's not apparent from your screenshots, or what you're doing in a project (unlikely) or it's happening between Cakewalk and your audio interface (most likely)

Can you confirm pan doesn't work on a newly created project? And if this is the case, can you upload that project so we can grab it and test it? If it works on our systems, we can rule out a broken project for a start.

One thing I'd suggest is checking your speaker connections. This is starting to sound like something is out of phase somewhere or is in some kind of mid-side mode.

But get us a CWP first and let's eliminate the possibilities strategically rather than going through reinstall hell (that's never any fun) or throwing ideas at a wall and hoping for the best.

The other thing is too, can you bounce down a file with the pan set to left or right (like fairly far or completely panned left or right so it's very apparent that's what you've done), where you're hearing that as a volume drop but it should be a pan? Upload a bit of that too. That'll be a good clue as to if this is something that's happening that can be rendered, or it's something you're hearing only.

Edited by Lord Tim

Status:  Loaded a mono track to Audacity.  Same prob. Went to Win - speaker config - Test - and Right side gave audio to both sides, Left side silent. Weird. Spent 10 hrs with Microsoft digging into the bowels + reload of Win 11. No change. What's left . . common to everything is Presonus interface. Ordered new interface. Saturday will install and test.

High confidence will resolve the issue. Will advise after testing.

And once again I restate how grateful I am for all who have graciously and patiently advised and guided. I am bettered because of you.   Thank you

King

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, King Burton said:

Status:  Loaded a mono track to Audacity.  Same prob. Went to Win - speaker config - Test - and Right side gave audio to both sides, Left side silent. Weird. Spent 10 hrs with Microsoft digging into the bowels + reload of Win 11. No change. What's left . . common to everything is Presonus interface. Ordered new interface. Saturday will install and test.

It's certainly possible that something inside your interface has crapped the bed somewhere, but definitely also, like I said, check your speaker cables and the polarity of the speakers too - it's possible you might be hearing stuff out of phase or giving you a faux mid-side thing too.

Wow, interesting story. Glad you fixed it, -whew!  -How the heck did that not show up with all the other audio in the project (especially since it was audio system-wide) - is my question. -I guess I never know what questions to ask, to cover everything!   -Anyway, Carry On! :) 

I forget how long ago it was but I had no problem panning left or right until I either updated Cakewalk or installed it on another computer. It was as simple as panning left or right on a mixing board. Then, when working on a new project, panning mysteriously went away.

Why do people have to complicate such a simple task?

Now here I am again, working on a new project, not being able to pan to the left or right...

Edited by Mark Shackelford