BUG! Automation is "ghosting" and duplicated to another(wrong) track without reason!

pulsewalk

This is not the first time it's happening. But sometimes, when I select a clip (with "Select Track Envelopes with Clips" selected in the Options menu), and copy this clip, automation from one of the clips automation lanes are for no reason duplicated to another track.

In this case, when I copy (CTRL + DRAG) a clip on track 26, to another place on the same track (track 26), the automation from automation lane 1 (A1) is added as automation on automation lane 2 (A2) on track 24 ! This is nuts and must be a bug.

I've redone the operation several times, just to double check I've not accidentality selected another track or clip, but I'm doing it right. Also, only automation data from one automation lane is duplicated, and not all the automation from automation lanes, even if there's other automation too.

I've encountered this several times before without knowing WHY there was weird automation on some tracks. Now I know those were only duplicates from other lanes, with no reason.

Also, this have also happened in at least 2 projects of mine. Both with the latest Cakewalk version/release/update, and versions before it.

EDIT: Also, the mentioned tracks have completely different VSTi's, so there should be no confusion.

EDIT2: It's worth to mention, there's no duplication on automation data when automation is drawn in or altered that way. This "ghosting"/duplication only happens when a clip is copied.

Edited by pulsewalk

12 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Clip Automation belongs to the clip, not the track, which is why it's being copied along with the clip.

If the other automation lanes are track automation, then this explains why they don't get copied too.

It's track automation, not clip automation. Also, the problem is not that automation does not get copied. The problem is that automation is rather duplicated (copied) to tracks it not supposed to be on, for no clear reason.

On 1/3/2023 at 8:03 PM, GreenLight said:

Are you able to reproduce it consistently? That's the key to fixing it, but it's not always easy...

In that specific case, I could reproduce it time after time, yes. The track is altered and worked with since, and I don't know if can be reproduced again. I can check though.

• Like 1

@pulsewalk - I can't see any bug here.

If you have "Select Track Envelopes with Clips" enabled, when you select a clip, any track envelopes are selected for the time range the selected clip occupies.

So doing a CTRL + drag to copy the clip, will also copy the track envelopes.  However, lanes are only created for parameters that actually exist for the envelopes in the destination track.

trackEnvelopesCopiedWithClips.gif

2 hours ago, msmcleod said:

@pulsewalk - I can't see any bug here.

If you have "Select Track Envelopes with Clips" enabled, when you select a clip, any track envelopes are selected for the time range the selected clip occupies.

So doing a CTRL + drag to copy the clip, will also copy the track envelopes.  However, lanes are only created for parameters that actually exist for the envelopes in the destination track.

trackEnvelopesCopiedWithClips.gif

I think you misunderstand me. Could be due to my bad English in my initial post perhaps?

(EDIT: I made a clarification in my initial post and added the following, so it can't be misunderstood. I added: ", to another place on the same track (track 26),")

Of course, clip automation is copied with a clip, also into another track, if that option is selected. This, I'm aware of.

This is not the problem.

The problem is that when I select a clip (at least in this particular case) on, lets say track number 1, and drag copying this clip (duplicating it) to elsewhere on the same track (track 1), then one of the several automation lanes, are copied to a whole different track, let's say track 7 :D

Why on earth would (only parts of) track automation under a clip, be copied to track 7 if I copy the clip on track 1 to another place in track 1, thus duplicating the clip.

There's no reason what so ever for that track automation to be ghost copied/duplicated onto track 7. I'm not even touching track 7! :D

Edited by pulsewalk

Yup, still continuing. I'm duplicating a clip on track 32, with "Select Track Envelopes with Clips" enabled, and then one of six of the track automation data under that clip is duplicated to track 30, even though it has nothing to do with track 30 whatsoever. I'm not even touching track 30.

It is the automation for "Main volume" on track 32, that is duplicated as flt2_cut (Filter cutoff) on track 30. haha, how nice.

This pretty much **cks up the automation on track 30 for me, just as here and there on other occasions. And I have no idea what causes it. It's not even the same VSTi on the mentioned tracks. It's a completely different VSTi on each of the mentioned tracks.

automation-ghosting-bug.gif

I have saved an example of the problem in a .cwp file. The problem is illustrated above.

What I've discovered, is that if I replace either of the VSTi's the problem disappears. So maybe it is some weird link between Spire and SWAM Violin? It should not be as far as I know.

What do you think, is this a bug? Or am I doing something wrong? As you clearly can see in the video, only one of several automation lanes are duplicated from track 2 onto track 1.

EDIT: BTW, thanks for the screen capture software recommendation! It works very well, as you can see in my video. Great little program!

Edited by pulsewalk

I have an even better video with the automation lanes expanded, for a better view of what is happening, but it's not possible to upload. It seems the small .gif files are expanded into huge videos when uploaded, thus exceeding my attachment quota.

The first video I uploaded is only 170 KB on my harddrive, while it's expanded to over 9 MB when uploaded to this forum :(

EDIT: Nevermind, I solved it by uploading to an external service, as seen in the post below.

Edited by pulsewalk