XML sync?

Stephen Simmons

So let's say I have a few different microphones recording a live show none of which particularly start and stop at the same time. I have used a product with video editing that allows you to export your project as an XML file run it through the program at export as an XML file which has been synchronized via the audio track. Works like a charm. I'm wondering if anyone has tried something like this with a kick walk project? If I took six of those different camera microphones put them all on their own timeline and synchronize them? Anybody? I know there's something called music XML. PS the program for video is called Syncalia. 

Thanks 

WSS

Without getting into the weeds about what it would take to do this or how to do it manually, the bottom line answer is no, CbB cannot do anything like that to automatically sync multiple audio streams, and I don't know any DAW that can. I suspect a program like Syncalia is using metadata from the video editor that just isn't available in audio files.

MusicXML is a standard for encoding music notation in a universal way that different notation programs can read and write; it doesn't have anything to do with actual audio data.

• 3 months later...
On 12/29/2022 at 12:24 PM, David Baay said:

Without getting into the weeds about what it would take to do this or how to do it manually, the bottom line answer is no, CbB cannot do anything like that to automatically sync multiple audio streams, and I don't know any DAW that can. I suspect a program like Syncalia is using metadata from the video editor that just isn't available in audio files.

MusicXML is a standard for encoding music notation in a universal way that different notation programs can read and write; it doesn't have anything to do with actual audio data.

Thank you sir. As I mentioned I have an application syncaila in which I export a video program with multiple takes of the audio to an XML file synchronizes it and then loads it back into the video program. Didn't know if there was a way to do that with cakewalk.

WSS 

Edited by Stephen Simmons

That's why the film industry invented the 'clapper' in 1927 to synchronize audio sources. Then came the NAGRA tape machine (the first ones were hand cranked, spring operated, clockwork models), then came crystal locked oscillators and SMPTE.

But even when I produce a multicam, multi-mic session, I still use a "clicker' so that I can line up the impulse response and sync the sources.

"Old skool was a kool skool". 😆

• Like 2

22 hours ago, OutrageProductions said:

But even when I produce a multicam, multi-mic session, I still use a "clicker' so that I can line up the impulse response and sync the sources.

Exactly, Any transient at the start of the filming will do. Of course real long sessions will drift but for a few songs I've never had an issue lining up the audio in the video editor. I often will use my Tascam DR 40 to record the audio and that becomes the final audio track. The camera audio is only used to line up the videos. 

And as far as anything I've ever read about XML it never is anything to do with Audio? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XML

Edited by John Vere

1 hour ago, John Vere said:

And as far as anything I've ever read about XML it never is anything to do with Audio? 

Video sleds can and do use XML EDLs (Edit Decision List) to cut scenes together, but the audio is always synchronized via SMPTE. Even my Canon DSLR has time code embedded in the metadata when shooting video.

But when I'm on the film mix (to picture) stage it's all SMPTE. Foley, dialog, SFX, music, the whole kit-n-kaboodle. Even the engineers are a little "clocky". 😉

• Like 1