Muted audio versus muted midi - different visually?

Sal Sorice

Question

Note: Using current version of CbB (2022.11, build 021)

I'm new to working with take lanes / comping and muting selections to stitch together the best parts of several takes. What I find a bit confusing is that when you mute some midi notes they show as white (muted) in BOTH the take lane and the track itself, like this:

image.png.c32f471abc412559f55c6d7260b59e17.png

However, when you do the same with an audio track, the muted parts are ghosted in the take lane but not in the track itself, like this:

image.png.f8fb3533f280e7c43f35cfa3173adef9.png

Not intuitive, at least to me. I assume this is by design, but why? Is there a setting I am missing?

6 answers to this question

Are you sure in your midi example that the clip showing in the track is actually not selected for the track? What I mean is that when you are comping you don't actually mute notes or audio you promote the piece of the take lane you want to be in your track by swiping, with the smart tool, in the bottom part of the take lane you want. it will then split the take into a clip where you did the swipe and promote that part of that take to the track and disable all other takes in that time range. They appear different but are not really muted, just not going to play in the current track.  

If you just mute audio and midi notes then the takes that are active then they are still part of the track just individually muted. 

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Arranging.57.html

image.png.cbefdc6639ec258e69a1ae5cd874d0c9.png

Thanks reginaldStjohn,
I see what you mean about the midi notes, but what is non-intuitive (at least to me) is that the audio parts that are muted show that way in the take lane, but not in the track lane. I'd expect them to 'match'

Example:

In the audio take lane why is the muted (ghosted) part of the take (outlined in RED) not also ghosted in the track lane (outlined in YELLOW)?

image.png.513f269e694dc5481e73816d7cabd11c.png

image.png

I understand what your confusion is but think I know what is going on. When you play back the track do you hear the "muted" audio? The parent track, for audio at least, isn't just a sum of all the take lanes. It only has what you promoted to it. if you "swipe" across the bottom part of your 2nd take I bet the parent track will not show the muted audio.

The parent track probably has a combination of both take lanes in it, did you record on "sound on sound" mode?,  and then you muted part of the 1st take, This doesn't update the parent track because it only represents the takes that you promote.  Swipe across the 2nd take and you should see the parent track represent what is in the 2nd take lane.

As your noticing, for midi tracks, this behavior might be different.

Edited by reginaldStjohn

The display of the "Comp" clip in the parent of an audio track is optimized for Comping where the signal from only one lane is unmuted in any given area, and the muting/unmuting is controlled by "promotion" with the Comp tool as reginaldStjohn suggested. In your case, the clips aren't "Comped"; they're 'layered' in sound-on-sound mode. In that case, the clips are shown layered in the parent; it can be a little unpredictable which layer is on top, but in my experience, the clip in T1 tends to take precedence. If you were to swap the clips between lanes, you would see the muted section in the parent track.

Edited by David Baay

Thanks for all the comments - I'm starting to understand a bit better :^)
What's really weird is that, today, when I opened the project, the parent track now shows my 'expected' view (i.e., the muted part in the T2 lane is shown in the parent track). I did not do anything that I can recall that would have changed the view. Here's how it looks now:

image.thumb.png.ce254a09d41c372830cdd2fa3211d956.png

Not sure why the audio is purple in color (and not blue like in previous screenshots). Could be because I took the screenshot during a remote session from my office to my music PC.