How to achieve this reverb?

Pilutiful

• 2 weeks later...

Just noticed your post, hope the following is still useful:

There's a plugin Chameleon 2 from Accentize that uses machine learning to match reverbs and lets you apply them to your own material. Haven't tried it myself, but it looks promising:

How To Match The Reverb Of Location Recordings With Accentize Chameleon 2

I don't have much experience with mixing but the following might help you if you want to have a big reverb:

Less is more with reverb, but here you clearly want to have it stand out as an effect, so avoiding a muddy sound gets more serious:

• Use low pass EQ to cut the lower frequencies
  • Preferably use one reverb bus to create cohesion between the vocals and instruments
  • Use a pre-delay (setting based on the song tempo, see BPM tempo and delay to time and frequency calculator)
  • Don't use long reverb tails
  • Sidechain the reverb to the vocal with a compressor that compresses the reverb during the vocal but not in between the singing

You can try the Abbey Roads reverb trick as explained by Dave Pensado: Abbey Road Reverb Technique - Into The Lair

This basically comes down to:

• cutting off the highs and the lows with 12dB/oct before the signal hits the reverb 
  • HPF at 500-600Hz and LPF at around 9-10kHz 
  • Cut about 3 dB somewhere in the area around 1 to 2kHz depending on the vocal
  • The you could add some saturation to beef up the reverb and make it stand out more

Edited by Teegarden
  • Like 2

This sounds like a long hall or plate reverb to me, maybe around 4 seconds or so? Perhaps longer.

It's definitely high passed, and it's low passed too with a very steep decay in the high end once it gets past a few seconds. You can emulate that a little bit by just rolling the high end off, but I suspect this may actually be a convolution reverb IR of a real space (or actually a real space!), or a pretty accurate hall algorithm.

I'd agree with most of what Teegarden wrote there, other than in this case this actually is quite a long reverb tail. But everything else regarding pre-delay and sidechain, etc. is good advice. 

Start simple though, see if you can find a good reverb to match first, and then start seeing what needs to be done after. The easiest thing is the EQ shaping and then the pre-delay. I'd wager that'll get you pretty much where you need to be, but if that fails, ducking the reverb while the vocal is loud with a sidechain is a great way to add clarity.

• Like 2