High-end alternative to TTS-1?

Pilutiful

Hello good SONAR users :)

Can anyone recommend a more "high-end" alternative to Cakewalk TTS-1 synth? There's a preset in TTS-1 called Echo Drops I really like (Presets -> Synth FX -> Echo Drops). It's a organ-like with "swirling" sound.  I have tried to look into f.ex. Waves Element, but what you get is like 1000 presets and none of them seem to sound anything like it (and I don't even know how to begin to create this sound)..

Any tips?

Echo Drops.mp3

Edited by Pilutiful

2 hours ago, Pilutiful said:

Can anyone recommend a more "high-end" alternative to Cakewalk TTS-1 synth? There's a preset in TTS-1 called Echo Drops I really like (Presets -> Synth FX -> Echo Drops). It's a organ-like with "swirling" sound.  I have tried to look into f.ex. Waves Element, but what you get is like 1000 presets and none of them seem to sound anything like it (and I don't even know how to begin to create this sound)..

TTS-1 is mostly used for the standard GM (General MIDI) sound set it provides, although it seems that you are looking into the Synth FX category.

Ordinarily I would point to a GM alternative for TTS-1, like the virtual Sound Canvas from Roland Cloud. But in your case, if it's "Synth FX" you are seeking, the sky is pretty much the limit with the free soft synths and FX available today.

You could buy the Sound Canvas for the GM sounds since the "Synth FX > Echo Drops" appears to be a standard GM2 sound.  But it would probably be cheaper to try some experimentation with a free synth organ sound, possibly layered with another sound, and some free FX to re-create that sound (definitely FX is what makes that swirling chorusy sound). An idea for the FX might be to try using guitar effects such as the free IK AmpliTube 5 CS.

Also consider that the GM spec and sound set are decades old by now, and since the TTS-1 was powered by Roland, I'm not sure how much of a "higher-end" GM alternative you will find out there. The original hardware Sound Canvas (1991) is likely what the TTS-1 was based on, as well as the "classic" virtual Sound Canvas that Roland is selling today. https://www.roland.com/us/products/rc_sound_canvas_va/

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, abacab said:

TTS-1 is mostly used for the standard GM (General MIDI) sound set it provides, although it seems that you are looking into the Synth FX category.

Ordinarily I would point to a GM alternative for TTS-1, like the virtual Sound Canvas from Roland Cloud. But in your case, if it's "Synth FX" you are seeking, the sky is pretty much the limit with the free soft synths and FX available today.

You could buy the Sound Canvas for the GM sounds since the "Synth FX > Echo Drops" appears to be a standard GM2 sound.  But it would probably be cheaper to try some experimentation with a free synth organ sound, possibly layered with another sound, and some free FX to re-create that sound (definitely FX is what makes that swirling chorusy sound).

Also consider that the GM spec and sound set are decades old by now, and since the TTS-1 was powered by Roland, I'm not sure how much of a "higher-end" GM alternative you will find out there. The original hardware Sound Canvas (1991) is likely what the TTS-1 was based on, as well as the "classic" virtual Sound Canvas that Roland is selling today. https://www.roland.com/us/products/rc_sound_canvas_va/

Great and informative reply, thank you! I'll sure check out Sound Canvas.

Do you have an idea of what this swirling chorusy sound FX might be?

Edited by Pilutiful

4 minutes ago, Pilutiful said:

Do you have an idea of what this swirling chorusy sound FX is?

Not right offhand, without experimenting. But it should be some combination of standard effects. That's why I suggest trying guitar effects, because you can usually quickly combine and swap until you find a sound that you like, either using stomp boxes or rack FX, or some combination of them.

NI Guitar Rig 6 has a lot of interesting special FX presets that may be useful, but it's not free. Works well with synth sounds!

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1