Not able to record audio

sim8t3

Question

I can't record audio from any plugin, I can see the audio on the meter but can't record it I've tried to make sure audio is setup right Playback Timing Master shows my audio output  which is Realtek Speakers, but under Record Timing Master it says None with no choices. I've searched all over the net to solve this problem but I didn't find anything, am I missing something in my setup? I appreciate any help. Thanks

Edited by sim8t3

14 answers to this question

@sim8t3

Thanks for the picture. It seems Cakewalk is ok. Before we go to were i think the problem is i'll show you how it show up for me.

Settings devices:
Cb-B-settings-1.png

Settings drivers:
Cb-B-settings-2.png

Track view:
Cb-B-track-view.png

The red is a setting that show how much and what info you can see in the track pane. Well, if you expand the track. 🙂

Look at the sound settings in windows.

Rightclick the volume icon in the system tray, select recording devices.

Cb-B-settings-3.png

It's in Swedish but you get the point.

You should have a Realtek recording device. Find it and activate it. Make it default.

Then open Cakewalk and go to device settings and select the Realtek recording device.

Edited by Kurre
Replaced picture.

What most new users are not aware of in Cakewalk: By activating the record button in the track only arm/prep the specific track for record. To actually start the process of recording, you have to press the record button in the control bar | or the shortcut command R on your keyboard. 

Edited by Will.

16 hours ago, sim8t3 said:

I can't record audio from any plugin

I'm not sure what this means. You record audio from an input into your sound card/audio interface. You may be able to record a track to another track with a plug-in affecting the audio.

16 hours ago, sim8t3 said:

my audio output  which is Realtek Speakers, but under Record Timing Master it says None

If you intend to use the RealTek, you must have something plugged into either the microphone input or the line input for a choice to be available. If nothing is plugged in, no choice.

You may already know this, but it bears repeating.
Welcome to the forum.

On 10/19/2022 at 12:16 AM, Kurre said:

@sim8t3

Thanks for the picture. It seems Cakewalk is ok. Before we go to were i think the problem is i'll show you how it show up for me.

Settings devices:
Cb-B-settings-1.png

Settings drivers:
Cb-B-settings-2.png

Track view:
Cb-B-track-view.png

The red is a setting that show how much and what info you can see in the track pane. Well, if you expand the track. 🙂

Your welcome, I would have replied sooner but I don’t have reliable internet access. I will try what you showed me. Thanks

On 10/19/2022 at 2:06 AM, Will. said:

What most new users are not aware of in Cakewalk: By activating the record button in the track only arm/prep the specific track for record. Do actually start the process of recording, you have to press the record button in the control bar | or the shortcut command R on your keyboard. 

I thought I had armed and recorded will have to double check.

Edited by sim8t3

On 10/19/2022 at 11:23 AM, 57Gregy said:

I'm not sure what this means. You record audio from an input into your sound card/audio interface. You may be able to record a track to another track with a plug-in affecting the audio.

If you intend to use the RealTek, you must have something plugged into either the microphone input or the line input for a choice to be available. If nothing is plugged in, no choice.

You may already know this, but it bears repeating.
Welcome to the forum.

Yes in fact after I plugged in a mic the record timing master showed a choice. Thanks for the welcome 

Edit

On 10/19/2022 at 11:49 AM, Byron Dickens said:

That's good but what about the rest?

Honestly I only had time to watch the one hoping I could figure out what went wrong in the case of the record timing not having a choice I had to plug in a mic, but I’m just trying use the text to wave plug-in so why do I need a mic plugged in?

13 hours ago, sim8t3 said:

Honestly I only had time to watch the one hoping I could figure out what went wrong in the case of the record timing not having a choice I had to plug in a mic, but I’m just trying use the text to wave plug-in so why do I need a mic plugged in?

It is Realteks driver software that make use of hardware sensors on the motherboard.

It makes the logical but wrong assumption that if there isn't anything connected to the hardware recording input, there isn't a need to activate the driver for recording.

Happy recording. 👍

• Like 1