New computer system - moving settings?

HOOK

My 16 year old MOTU 24i/o is failing.  And the computer I'm using it on is as old.  It's an old i7 950 running Windows 10 Pro.   She's a fighter...still killing it for the most part.  But I don't dare update the interface without finally updating the computer as well.  I'll be going with the i7 12700K on an Asus Z690 MB.

My question is this:  How do I move all my project templates, track templates, effects presets, drum maps....ALL THAT to the new machine? 

I've had issues with pulling this off in the past.  Basically, I usually start over.  But I have some templates and presets I REALLY don't want to lose this time.

Thanks.

You can use the free version of Macrium to create an image of your current C drive and use that for your new computers C drive.

In Cakewalk Preferences\File Locations you can see where all your various files are being saved. Backup all those locations and once you’ve got your new PC setup, copy all those files over to it. 

2 hours ago, Michael Vogel said:

You can use the free version of Macrium to create an image of your current C drive and use that for your new computers C drive.

In Cakewalk Preferences\File Locations you can see where all your various files are being saved. Backup all those locations and once you’ve got your new PC setup, copy all those files over to it. 

Cloning a C drive and OS will work moving to a totally different machine, different chipset, processor and moving from SATA SSD to NVME SSD, etc?

39 minutes ago, HOOK said:

Cloning a C drive and OS will work moving to a totally different machine, different chipset, processor and moving from SATA SSD to NVME SSD, etc?

I've done it and it worked fine (Intel Quad Core to AMD Ryzen), *and* upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 at the same time.  But I wouldn't guarantee it.

• Like 1

You probably want to copy over the following:

C:\Cakewalk Content\Cakewalk Core\FX Chain Presets
C:\Cakewalk Content\Cakewalk Core\ProChannel Presets
%APPDATA%\Cakewalk\Shared Presets\
%APPDATA%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Drump Maps

And these, assuming you've not changed their directory:

C:\Cakewalk Content\Cakewalk Core\Project Templates
C:\Cakewalk Content\Cakewalk Core\Track Templates

And obviously your project folders.

You also will want to export / import the following registry key:

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\Cakewalk\Core\Presets

You should also make sure you install any VST's to the same directory as you did before.  I find Belarc advisor useful for listing what I software have installed.  Also, I believe @scook has a tool for listing what VST's you have and where they are installed.

[EDIT]  - For @scook's VST Inventory tool, download CbB Tools from his Google Page: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eiVH_I1clbbRtWFh4-3Mo7HANjCxR8SwqHJtYXy19gw/pub

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Kevin Perry said:

I've done it and it worked fine (Intel Quad Core to AMD Ryzen), *and* upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 at the same time.  But I wouldn't guarantee it.

Yeah...I honestly would probably rather start with a fresh OS install when it comes to all new hardware.  And I won't DIE if I can't bring all my presets and settings with me.  I might cry a little.  😪

3 minutes ago, HOOK said:

Yeah...I honestly would probably rather start with a fresh OS install when it comes to all new hardware.  And I won't DIE if I can't bring all my presets and settings with me.  I might cry a little.  😪

I didn't have the luxury of time (and getting some things reinstalled would have been problematic, like some old DXi instruments) so I took a punt: I was amazed.  Apart from a couple of plugins that needed reauthorisation (BFD2 was one - Melodyne too, I think) the only thing that failed to copy across and work, ironically, was Visual Studio (the version I had wasn't supported under Windows 10) - annoyingly, the uninstaller didn't work under Windows 10 either, so I had a bit of a job cleaning it up in the end 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2022 at 7:18 AM, msmcleod said:

You also will want to export / import the following registry key:

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\Cakewalk\Core\Presets

Hi Mark.  I've got all of this stuff loaded on the new machine except this registry key.  Before I hammer this...can you please tell me how to import this key?  It's not as intuitive as exporting it was.  Thanks.

Never mind.  I'm good.  I got it.

One last question for this and it's all up and running. I have a .pgl file leftover.  I have zero idea what that one is.  It's obviously a preset because it's got my name on it.  I'm just not sure it's Cakewalk specific of if it's a 3rd party plugin.  If you don't know what it is....then I guess it's not.

.pgl

Never mind.  I found that one finally.  It's the Plug-in Menu Layout.  I'll be happy to not have to rebuild that as well.

Thanks for the help on this, friends.  The new system is up and screaming.  And the GUI, plugins, presets, workspaces....all that....looks and acts just like it did on the old system. 

• Like 1