¤¤¤ Need better functional yellow hover over "Hints" and not the obvious. ¤¤¤ [Images included]

El Diablo

Hi,

Please make the record button understandable by saying in the "yellow hints" ... You know the yellow pop-up hints when you hover over a button for a moment or two. Just say "Left click and hold for more options" instead of the obvious "Record (Comping) [R]" for the record button. Or combine two hints together!

I had to do some serious research to find out what I remembered that CakeWalk "used to have"..I really thought CakeWalk might have gotten rid of that feature.

All the hints should get revised and not just state the obvious.  Especially if there's a hidden menu.  I thought the "Step Record" was removed until recently.  So, please update the hints to clarify any special menus.

Not everyone is smart enough to figure out what the developer(s) was thinking when CakeWalk was created.  Bandlab now has a chance to correct what was wrong and make it right.

Thank you Bandlab and the developers of Bandlab!

See Post for visual images of before and after: Post 382991

Edited by El Diablo
  • Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

21 minutes ago, Byron Dickens said:

That's what the documentation is for.

Go ahead.. open up CakeWalk.  Click Help, then Click Documentation.  I get the error "Failed to launch help".  There's no offline documentation???  Then you really badly need yellow hints to be much much better than the obvious!

A well made program has functional hints and not "this button is play, this one is pause, this one is record", etc.  and the pictures are literally already showing what it is.  Unless your in elementary school, you already know what record and play buttons look like!!

Documentation is only as good as the person looking for a solution.  If you know what your looking for then it'll be easy, otherwise if you can't find the words of what you are looking for the documentation does you no justice!!!

Plus, who wants to spend hours, days, months, and years looking for something and the developer could have just waved his hands and magically made the yellow hints make more sense.

It's a very very easy fix for the developer.

Edited by El Diablo

Byron Dickens,

It's easy for you to tell me this because I'm on these forums, but if you think about others and how confused they would be... Think about others and don't think everyone is at your level of expertise.  There are so many varieties of people out there and you should always strive to make it easier for the other guy or gal.

Best Regards,

El Diablo

Edited by El Diablo

6 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Go ahead.. open up CakeWalk.  Click Help, then Click Documentation.  I get the error "Failed to launch help". 

Just download the documentation like we all did. If you go to the help tab in the DAW and click check for update a popup toast will give you the option to download the offline documentation. You can also use the web installer to get it. It was there - the option was given to you, you should have just ticked it. 

Im not saying you did/have - neither of that, but . . . 

Getting Cakewalk from third-party websites, is still considered as piracy even if it is free.

ALSO: There's the help module if you press Y on the keyboard and this one is not hidden. It is by default open when you install Cakewalk with the options to close/remove/hide/undock it. 

• Great Idea 1

4 hours ago, Will. said:

Just download the documentation like we all did. If you go to the help tab in the DAW and click check for update a popup toast will give you the option to download the offline documentation. You can also use the web installer to get it. It was there - the option was given to you, you should have just ticked it. 

Im not saying you did/have - neither of that, but . . . 

Getting Cakewalk from third-party websites, is still considered as piracy even if it is free.

ALSO: There's the help module if you press Y on the keyboard and this one is not hidden. It is by default open when you install Cakewalk with the options to close/remove/hide/undock it. 

There's two installers for CakeWalk.  One that is CakeWalk only and the other comes with Bandlab Assistant.  I downloaded the CakeWalk only.  Plus, I have been using CakeWalk since the 90s.  I own several copies of Sonar Producer that I paid for.  I also own Project 5 and Music Creator.

Everyone seems to be missing the point.  It's probably due to the Troll that came here to hassle me about my feature request.  Do y'all think only professionals use CakeWalk?  That little kids aren't in school learning CakeWalk?  It's now a free program and what school wouldn't take advantage of free?

I have plenty of knowledge on CakeWalk.  I'm thinking about the people whom are brand new to CakeWalk, maybe don't even have our wit or knowledge.  Maybe even kids from elementary school just learning about music.  To make it easier on them will bring new blood to CakeWalk.

I personally have no issues finding what I need and of course the majority of the users here on the forums.

The problem is about other people whom are less knowledgeable and do not have the skills we have.  They also may not have the knowledge on how to search for what they need.

We should make it easier for them.

• Meh 1

12 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

I downloaded the CakeWalk only. 

I hear you. It's in that installer too. It's the one I mentioned -- it being the web installer. You can download the offline document from there, or from within the DAW | and | I'm referring to the full offline document - not the quick guide. 

The BA (Bandlab Assistant) is broken. Has been for almost a year or two. Trying to download Cakewalk from the BA stuck(s) at a certain percentage. 

Edited by Will.

Thanks for sharing your idea @El Diablo

At first It's not 

1 hour ago, El Diablo said:

CakeWalk

It's Cakewalk. And it's not

1 hour ago, El Diablo said:

Bandlab

It's BandLab.

I just wanted to point at these because it seems that you care using of upper cases in brand names.

Second the information you wanted shows on the Help Module. It says:

"Click and keep the mouse button pressed for a brief moment to choose the desired record mode"

There are more information than you wanted. 

But I think you already knew about the Help Module because you're familiar with the software and you're requesting it for newcomers to make Cakewalk learning easier.

I agree with you. It's better when you see the information directly on the icon you hover instead of looking somewhere else everytime. 

As an example Autodesk use this kind of tooltips. They use extra information how to use the tool with the name and the shortcut information. They even use animations on the tooltips to help learning better.

IMHO this can be an optional tooltip type you selected from Preferences. Otherwise I wouldn't want to see that kind of information all the time.

How hard is it to program multiple line hints?  very easy

Here's Delphi's one line code:

Image2.hint := 'Record (Comping) [R]' + #13 + 'Left click and hold for more options';

Go from this:

record_comping.jpg.10570915c154978f9d3109aed7034275.jpg

To this:

left_click_and_hold.jpg.e571716da38d19ac4d90967d703c3beb.jpg

I did the above ... screen shot it, the I added it to Delphi 11... then I created a hint for that button.  Very simple and easy to do.

• Like 1

There are also links to online and offline reference guides at the top of each forum webpage.   But ...

The fact that reference guides exist should not diminish the suggestion to look over the pop-up hints and improve them whenever possible.  Obviously sometime in the past the Sonar\Cakewalk team thought pop-up hints were a good idea so why not make the hints the best that they can be?

Clipboard01.jpg