Note stretching

kajunjeaux

When recording a pedal steel part I inadvertently cut the last note off short. What are the steps used to stretch that last note. If you can, I would appreciate a step by step instruction  and I would also appreciate it if you would email it to me at: kajunjeaux@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to help

Kajun Jeaux

FYI, all replies on user forums are posted in the forum. That way others can learn about the software by looking for similar issues. It's not considered a good idea to post email addresses on forums either. We have a Private Message system if needed. 

You don't say if this is a Midi note or a Audio file.

If it's a Midi note you can drag the right hand edge with the smart tool. 

If it is an audio note then there are probably 20 ways to do this. 

My first choice would be using Melodyne which has tools to manipulate note length but you would require the full version to do this with a Chord. 

Next depends on how long you need the note to sustain. And if this is the very end of the song where it needs to fade away naturally and it is an important part of that fade out. 

Things you can try:

Adding reverb and automating it so it increases to sustain the note longer. I used this once to fix an abrupt ending of a song and it worked great. 

Copy and paste the section a few times and use automation to make it fade slowly. I could make this work, but you do need good editing skills or it  could have glitches in the transitions.

I let the rest toss in their ideas but those 2 would be my first attempts.