vst xv5080 multitimbral ?

fastdraw

The original Roland XV-5080 hardware was a multitimbral synth. I have heard complaints from Roland Cloud users that Roland did not completely emulate the originals.

I have the original hardware JV-1080 and that is 16-part multi-timbral in "Performance" mode, and includes a decent GM instrument bank. The XV-5080 hardware is newer than that, and is 32-part multitimbral in "Performance" mode.

Don't know much about the Roland Cloud plug-ins, though, except a quick glance at the manuals tells me that Roland has removed the multitimbral "Performance" mode from the software versions of both of these synths, leaving only the patch and rhythm sets.

So it's a definite no-go at using the either the JV or XV software synth like a TTS-1.

If you are a Roland Cloud user, you may want to check out the Roland Sound Canvas VA: https://www.roland.com/us/products/rc_sound_canvas_va/

"Each plug-in instance supports 16 parts and up to 64-note polyphony"

Edited by abacab

The whole Roland Cloud thing is a big disapointment for me, a long time Roland fan.  There's really nothing there that you can't find for free somewhere. And I still have my GR 50 which has some classic Roland sounds. Oh, and my trusty 505 drum machine. 

Edited by John Vere

3 minutes ago, John Vere said:

The whole Roland Cloud thing is a big disapointment for me, a long time Roland fan.

Same here. I have a Roland JV-880 (my 1st Rompler), a JV-1080, and an XP-30. I looked into the Roland Cloud thinking that VST replacements would be cool, but then backed away disappointed with their loose interpretations of the hardware features. Sure it's sometimes nice to add something, but to take away features? Shame!

In my opinion, KORG did a much better job with their software emulations.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, abacab said:

Same here. I have a Roland JV-880 (my 1st Rompler), a JV-1080, and an XP-30. I looked into the Roland Cloud thinking that VST replacements would be cool, but then backed away disappointed with their loose interpretations of the hardware features. Sure it's sometimes nice to add something, but to take away features? Shame!

In my opinion, KORG did a much better job with their software emulations.

the only vst roland that is multitimbral is the Sound Canvas VA (16 parts)

Anybody remember the Dr Synth and The Dr Rhythm?  They might have been sold under Rolands Boss lable.  I used both of those for my Midi Backing tracks for a short while. I didn't like the Dr Rhythm much as it was sort of wierd to program  and didn't have a footswitch,  The first signs of Roland no longer making stuff for live performers.  The Dr Synth had great sounds but a Keyboard player friend of mine talked me into selling it to him. He still uses it. I keep telling him I'll buy it back but he claims it's still the best thing going for Organ and  pop synth sounds used in top 40's gigs. 

2 hours ago, John Vere said:

Anybody remember the Dr Synth and The Dr Rhythm? 

I have the Boss DR-5 Dr Rhythm. https://www.boss.info/us/products/dr-5/

"The DR-5 Dr. Rhythm Section is an innovative new concept in rhythm composers. Designed like a guitar fretboard, it features a programmable backing band including bass, drums and keyboards."

I set it up for a drummer friend years ago to live finger drum from a spare MIDI keyboard during our jam sessions (no actual drum kit available). The drum kit in the DR-5 was custom mapped to the MIDI notes that he preferred for the kick, snares, toms, hats, cymbals, etc. We didn't have the space or the money for real or digital drums at the time. This setup actually sounded pretty good running through an analog mixer and out to a keyboard amp!

We just used the DR-5 for the drum sounds. We had real guitars, keyboards, bass, and mics running into the mixer as well for our jam sessions. My neighbor hated it!

• Like 1