Default midi template?

I have a normal.cwt file that I use for most of my projects, but sometimes I just want to click on a piano midi file and make some edits to it. Cakewalk opens it and defaults to a project with just the midi data and a TTS synth to play it. I have to replace the synth with a decent one every time.

1) Is there a way to tell Cakewalk to default to a different template when a .mid file is launched ? (CW is my default app for .mid files)

2) If I can't change that, is that bare bones template with TTS synth accessible / editable?

Thanks!

It's not really a template at all when you open a Midi file. It is just the midi data and if it was a type 1 file it will open with each track the way it was originally saved by the creator. What you get is a raw Cakewalk project with no frills. 

The TTS-1 is the default instrument because they assumed you are opening a GM multi channel file. It’s a real handy option for preview of download Midi files. You can disable this. 

If you choose a Midi output in Preferences, example I can choose my Midi ports of my Audio interface, Then the TTS-1 will not load, all you will have is your midi tracks. You then needd to build your project around those tracks. Add instruments etc.  Notice there is not even a master bus with a midi file. You have to add that as well. This is where Track templates save time. 

If I add a track template I created for True Pianos it then automaticly creates a Sub bus and a Master bus. 

Edited by John Vere

That would actually be a cool enhancement, to open a default project just for editing MIDI. It would not be easy to implement, though, since a MIDI file can contain multiple tracks/instruments. From a practical standpoint, it makes more sense to click on the cwp file and open the project. I'd be uncomfortable editing one MIDI track in isolation without being able to hear it in context.

Seems the easiest work around might be to create a pre-set project file (set-up  specifically for editing) and  import the midi file.  With the preferred instrument  already loaded, then it's an instrument assignment task.  There are a number of short cuts and bindings to make that more or less kind of quick. Are you opening saved midi files? - or are you launching them from a website ?  link or something other?

Edited by RBH