crackling noise

McV13

Question

i have a gtx 1050ti, i5 3470K and 16gb of ram, some skullcandy headphones which are very high quality and my cakewalk is doing this stupid audio crackling thing.

things ive tried:

1. changing audio drivers, that didnt work because they just didnt produce any audio

2. restarting and shutting down computer

3. reopening cakewalk

please someone tell me how to fix thank you very much, all support greatly appreciated

All of this is very clear and explained in detail in the video. 
But one thing that makes no sense is that WASAPI didn’t work?  This could only imply you have a weird MoBo? 

Pull up the specs for your computer and let us know what the audio chip is. 
And in the end this is why an proper audio interface is always the best solution if your wish is to use a computer for audio recording. 
See my video #106 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, John Vere said:

Yes and no. I use WASAPI shared when using on board audio, otherwise I can't use other apps that produce audio. But if all you use your computer for is Cakewalk then Exclusive mode has way better performance.

Given the OP is having an issue with crackles, I thought it best to recommend Exclusive mode. Troubleshooting 101 - remove variables that could be contributing to the problem and start with the configuration that has the best chance of success for the task at hand.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, McV13 said:

i use MME- 32 bit, wasapi and asio dont work for me

Definitely need to get to the bottom of that. MME is not going to cut it, and WASAPI should work unless the onboard sound hardware is really ancient/atypical. Look for newer drivers as Mark suggested.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

1 hour ago, msmcleod said:

Ok, so you're using the on-board audio interface on your motherboard.

WASAPI should work fine with that - if it doesn't, make you've got the most up-to-date audio drivers installed for your motherboard.

it says its supported, i selected my headphones but no sound comes through

1 hour ago, David Baay said:

Definitely need to get to the bottom of that. MME is not going to cut it, and WASAPI should work unless the onboard sound hardware is really ancient/atypical. Look for newer drivers as Mark suggested.

wasapi says it works and i selected the correct output but no sound comes out

I'm going to take a guess at this and say you have a Realtek sound chip that's built into your motherboard, and it sends sound out through the Line Out (headphones).

In a lot of cases this will default to SPDIF rather than the actual output, which is not what you want. Either that or it's defaulted to your HDMI monitor audio, which is definitely the wrong thing to use.

To save any further guesswork, open Cakewalk and press P to bring up Preferences. 

In Audio > Devices, in the Output Drivers section, make sure there's ONLY a tick in Realtek Speakers 1/2.  Press Apply.

Then go to Audio > Driver Settings and make sure that selection appears in the Playback Timing Master. Press OK.

If I'm wrong about the type of audio chip you have, or you're having no luck, go back into Preferences > Audio > Devices and take a screen grab of what you see and post it here. We're pretty much flying blind with any advice without knowing what hardware you have available  (other than selecting the right kind of driver model, like Mark mentioned earlier).

Edited by Lord Tim
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lord Tim said:

I'm going to take a guess at this and say you have a Realtek sound chip that's built into your motherboard, and it sends sound out through the Line Out (headphones).

In a lot of cases this will default to SPDIF rather than the actual output, which is not what you want. Either that or it's defaulted to your HDMI monitor audio, which is definitely the wrong thing to use.

To save any further guesswork, open Cakewalk and press P to bring up Preferences. 

In Audio > Devices, in the Output Drivers section, make sure there's ONLY a tick in Realtek Speakers 1/2.  Press Apply.

Then go to Audio > Driver Settings and make sure that selection appears in the Playback Timing Master. Press OK.

If I'm wrong about the type of audio chip you have, or you're having no luck, go back into Preferences > Audio > Devices and take a screen grab of what you see and post it here. We're pretty much flying blind with any advice without knowing what hardware you have available  (other than selecting the right kind of driver model, like Mark mentioned earlier).

All of this is covered very clearly in the video I posted. Of course some people don't always watch entire videos and the important part of this was explained at the end regarding the Digital output being a default for the master in some driver modes.  

At this point I will put my money on the master bus output is wrong.  

Edited by John Vere
  • Great Idea 1

just did an experiment. Turned off my Audio interface and re enabled the digital output to my on board audio ( Realtek)  

open a  Blank template project.  

MME mode. Speakers are Master bus output. 

WASAPI modes- Digital is Master bus output. 

WDM Mode- Digital is Master bus output.

ASIO mode - Not available, Realtek ASIO driver deleted. 

It's as I said, in MME mode Speakers show at the top of the device list. In all other modes the Digital ( SPDIF) is at the top of the device list. So there's the issue. This thread would have been 4 posts long if the OP had watched the video all the way through. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Great Idea 1

20 hours ago, Lord Tim said:

yes i have a realtek and yes it says that

19 hours ago, John Vere said:

just did an experiment. Turned off my Audio interface and re enabled the digital output to my on board audio ( Realtek)  

open a  Blank template project.  

MME mode. Speakers are Master bus output. 

WASAPI modes- Digital is Master bus output. 

WDM Mode- Digital is Master bus output.

ASIO mode - Not available, Realtek ASIO driver deleted. 

It's as I said, in MME mode Speakers show at the top of the device list. In all other modes the Digital ( SPDIF) is at the top of the device list. So there's the issue. This thread would have been 4 posts long if the OP had watched the video all the way through. 

I've watched the video 3 times over, im probably being dumb or not focusing or whatever but i cant find the way how to make it work with wasapi or asio also whats an spdif and how do i know my headphones are spdif or whatever

14 minutes ago, McV13 said:

how do i know my headphones are spdif

If you have a standard stereo mini audio plug going from the headphones into the standard mini audio jack on the PC, it is not spdif.     

image.png

Edited by User 905133

Ok I’ll repeat what I say in the Video as well as a few other folks here have said. 

Make sure your Master bus output is set to Speakers and not Digital. 

Terms that are easy to use Google search to learn but are included here for clarification

Speakers= the green jack on most Computers where you plug in a set of speakers or a set of headphones. Some MoBo sound cards have both a Speaker and a Headphones jack which are marked as such. 

SPDIF = a type of Digital connection normally using a yellow or orange RCA  connection but might be a 1/8” jack on a MoBo used to connect home theatre equipment to a PC. 

Most PC inputs and outputs only show when something in connected to them. The exception seems to be the Digital. 

• Great Idea 1

2 hours ago, User 905133 said:

If you have a standard stereo mini audio plug going from the headphones into the standard mini audio jack on the PC, it is not spdif.     

image.png

ok so mine are not spdif then

2 hours ago, John Vere said:

Ok I’ll repeat what I say in the Video as well as a few other folks here have said. 

Make sure your Master bus output is set to Speakers and not Digital. 

Terms that are easy to use Google search to learn but are included here for clarification

Speakers= the green jack on most Computers where you plug in a set of speakers or a set of headphones. Some MoBo sound cards have both a Speaker and a Headphones jack which are marked as such. 

SPDIF = a type of Digital connection normally using a yellow or orange RCA  connection but might be a 1/8” jack on a MoBo used to connect home theatre equipment to a PC. 

Most PC inputs and outputs only show when something in connected to them. The exception seems to be the Digital. 

yeah it is set to speakers in the master bus and i do not have spdif sadly

On 5/9/2022 at 3:06 AM, Lord Tim said:

If  you're having no luck, go back into Preferences > Audio > Devices and take a screen grab of what you see and post it here. We're pretty much flying blind with any advice without knowing what hardware you have available

^^ do this, we're still kind of guessing what you're seeing here.

• Great Idea 1