Doubled MIDI Notes

Johnbee58

In a particular project I'm working on I've taken notice that when I play/record a note on my MIDI keyboard the note for some reason is doubled in the MIDI editor.  It doesn't happen in a fresh project, just the current one I'm working on.  What did I accidentally activate?

Thanks;

John B

Edited by Johnbee58

There can be many causes.  The one I usually have is duplicate midi inputs selected, for example having both the usb and din ports coming from my keyboard selected.  Since its easy to check, the first thing I'd look at are the midi input ports selected. Also, if using a plug-in that sends MIDI, double check that.  But there can be other causes.

1 hour ago, Johnbee58 said:

In a particular project I'm working on I've taken notice that when I play/record a note on my MIDI keyboard the note for some reason is doubled in the MIDI editor.  It doesn't happen in a fresh project, just the current one I'm working on.  What did I accidentally activate?

1 hour ago, User 905133 said:

There can be many causes.  The one I usually have is duplicate midi inputs selected, for example having both the usb and din ports coming from my keyboard selected.  Since its easy to check, the first thing I'd look at are the midi input ports selected. Also, if using a plug-in that sends MIDI, double check that.  But there can be other causes.

40 minutes ago, John Vere said:

To avoid these issues: 

1. Uncheck midi outputs if you are not using hardware 

2. Make sure any synths used  in the project have midi output disabled. 
3. Always select only your controller as the input to the track. 

Yeah, I guess having a hardware MIDI thru connected or routed could be another cause. Based on the question asked "What did I accidentally activate?" and the OP's participation in the forum that leads me to believe he is not a novice, I assume (perhaps wrongly) the issue you added is not a likely problem.  But maybe.  

@Johnbee58, please let us know what the cause was.  @John Vere, since others have asked about doubled notes, if you haven't done so already, maybe this could go into a short video as part of a series on "Diagnostics" - different from your videos directed at beginners.

PS: Or maybe another tutorial maker would want to do a series on "Diagnostics."  I mentioned it to John, but I know there are other competent videographers who could do something like this as well.  I just wanted to mention the idea since what we have in this thread seems (at least to me) suggests taking this approach with problems that repeatedly come up.  Didn't mean to suggest John is the only one who could do it or that he should do it.

Edited by User 905133
(2) to add "or routed" ;(1) to add a PS to point out other videographers might want to do some short "Diagnostics" videos.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, User 905133 said:

Johnbee58, please let us know what the cause was. 

You know what?  I don't get it!   I saved the project in question and powered down the PC for a few hours.  When I returned about 3 hours later the situation seems to have resolved itself!  Mystery!  Apparently, there's no cause or reason and the whole situation could've been solved by a reboot.  

There have been many strange things happening with CbB and my other music plugins since I replaced my PC last summer.  I was getting more frequent BSODs on my old Windows 8 machine so last July I replaced it with the new one which runs Windows 10.  I don't know if or how much the OS has to do with these new issues but more have cropped up since the replacement.  I remember telling someone who complained here about CbB about a month ago and I told him  of my experience in that PCs are like human beings who have their own personalities.  That's how it seems anyway.  You replace a PC that has certain issues  with a new one and you have is all new issues to deal with, no matter what the software.

😒John B.

Edited by Johnbee58

13 minutes ago, Johnbee58 said:

You know what?  I don't get it!  . . .  Mystery!  Apparently, there's no cause or reason and the whole situation could've been solved by a reboot.  

Good point! Restarting/rebooting/etc. belongs in everyone's set of diagnostic steps if it isn't already!!  

Glad to hear its solved!