What's in a UAD Satellite box. PCI-e card?

Tony Carpenter

Hi All,

I've asked over at UAD too, but since we're all a little more communicative over here, thought I'd ask :)

I've asked google, and unbelievable, no one else ever thought to look?, in this day of YouTube show and tell etc. Before anyone says, why not look, I am suspicious of opening a perfectly operating expensive Octo TB2 enclosure for curiosity only. I own a Quad card I bought an external TB3 box for, and I was using it in another room of my studio, about to liberate it and put it in my tower PC. So..... to the meat of the subject, (at last?), Is the Satellite a PCI-e card in a board or just a PCI-e slot basically?. If so, that's coming out and going in PC too!!.

Thanks in advance,

Tony

I have 2 Octo TBs for my Mac and 2 Octo USB for my PC and I've never once thought about what they look like internally.

It would only make sense it's a PCI-e card but without the end piece that locks it down to the case.

When/if you do open it up, please let me know (simply for curiosity sake mind you).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bapu said:

I have 2 Octo TBs for my Mac and 2 Octo USB for my PC and I've never once thought about what they look like internally.

It would only make sense it's a PCI-e card but without the end piece that locks it down to the case.

When/if you do open it up, please let me know (simply for curiosity sake mind you).

I'm leaning towards looking Bapu yes, a guy over at UAD said it should be safe to open, just use usual electronic precautions :). I just figured since the way I mounted the Quad card in my Sonnet box was simple maybe they did that to save money, but, having said that, the Satellite is MUCH shallower than the Sonnet box.

Cheers,

Tony

5 hours ago, Tony Carpenter said:

Hi All,

I've asked over at UAD too, but since we're all a little more communicative over here, thought I'd ask :)

I've asked google, and unbelievable, no one else ever thought to look?, in this day of YouTube show and tell etc. Before anyone says, why not look, I am suspicious of opening a perfectly operating expensive Octo TB2 enclosure for curiosity only. I own a Quad card I bought an external TB3 box for, and I was using it in another room of my studio, about to liberate it and put it in my tower PC. So..... to the meat of the subject, (at last?), Is the Satellite a PCI-e card in a board or just a PCI-e slot basically?. If so, that's coming out and going in PC too!!.

Thanks in advance,

Tony

Tony , notice that via sonnet type boxes you can use pcie cards via thudner bold for exemple

5 hours ago, Tony Carpenter said:

@Zoearly or late was it lol?. Yes I use a sonnet on my quad card. The satellite isn’t a card. We were curious as to whether it contained a card that was a motherboard or a pcie card.   :)

Got it , i have an octo usb , never tried to open it to be honest but pretty sure it's not a simple card

• Like 2