Korg NanoKey2 no longer working in Bandlab version

cmbrowns

Hello,

I'm trying to use a Korg Nanokey2 USB midi controller with the latest Bandlab Cakewalk but it doesn't seem to be working.  If I try the same thing in the final Sonar it works normally, and I have no problem using it with standalone virtual instruments like BFD3, various Native Instruments, Sonivox (both 32 and 64 bit versions).

I have all MIDI settings in Bandlab Cakewalk the same as in Sonar, and I am not using too many USB or Midi devices. As best I can tell, I have the latest NanoKey2 versions and drivers and it is set to control 32bit and 64 bit.

Since everything else is working it seems it must be some setting in Cakewalk that I'm missing, or is this a bug in the current version?

Can anyone suggest settings I might be missing?

Thanks

Hello Mark. Thanks for the reply.

I have a Cakewalk V-Studio 100 hooked up and working, but it was the same in Sonar. As best I can see, everything works normally with the Korg except Bandlab Cakewalk, so I'm thinking this must be a bug since Sonar. But I have no idea how to report bugs and I thought they might pick it up here. The contact support stuff just says under construction.

I'll try taking out the V-Studio and see if it changes anything.

43 minutes ago, cmbrowns said:

The contact support stuff just says under construction.

That sounds like the old Cakewalk web site.

There is a link to the correct support page in the Cakewalk by BandLab menu at the top of this forum. There is also a post about contacting support in the FAQ area above

@cmbrowns  after upgrading to Windows 1903, I had exactly the same issue.

I found this fix: https://thedigitallifestyle.com/w/index.php/2019/04/23/fixing-korg-usb-midi-driver-issues-in-windows-10-may-2019-update/

The "distilled" instructions are: 

Open up regedit (windows key + R,  type in regedit, followed by return), then follow these instructions:

FixKorgDriver.gif

The two registry addresses to copy/paste are:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32

Note: If you've more than one korg device, you'll have to do this for each one. So for me, my NanoKontrol was 0011 / midi5, and my nanoKey was 0012 / midi4. Each device should have a different alias.

Edited by msmcleod
  • Like 2

Hi,

Thanks very much indeed for this - I did the registry amendments and my NanoKontrol Studio works fine with CbB.

However, the Korg Kontrol Editor shows the Studio as "not connected" so I can't do any edits.  As far as I can see I'm running the latest version of the editor.  Does it work for you?

2 hours ago, whinnerah said:

Hi,

Thanks very much indeed for this - I did the registry amendments and my NanoKontrol Studio works fine with CbB.

However, the Korg Kontrol Editor shows the Studio as "not connected" so I can't do any edits.  As far as I can see I'm running the latest version of the editor.  Does it work for you?

No, I'm seeing the same.

I'll investigate further...

[Edit]

Ok, I've tried loads of things, and can't get the Korg Kontrol Editor to work. This includes deleting all the Korg related registry entries, re-installing the driver and the editor, but I can't get it to recognise the devices. It doesn't even display the Korg MIDI devices in the manual MIDI preferences.

Korg say this:

"We can inform you that KORG USB-MIDI Driver and KORG BLE-MIDI Driver are not compatible with Windows 10 May 2019 Update and advise you not to update your operating system until compatible versions has been released.
We thank you in advance for your patience and understanding."

https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/articles/360028457032-Information-about-Windows-10-May-2019-Update-version-1903-

So until Korg fix the issue, the Korg Kontrol Editor isn't going to work in Windows 1903. 

I guess at least they're aware of it and acknowledge it.

In the meantime, the registry hack above gets it working in CbB.

Edited by msmcleod

Haha! I've found a fix.

Just go to device manager (right click on My PC within Windows explorer, click Manage and choose devices).

Then Right click on the Korg device, update your driver, Pick from List and set it to "USB Audio Device" instead of the Korg one.

It'll then work in both Cakewalk and the Korg Kontrol Editor.

I found this by accident... basically I'd setup a clean Windows 10 1093 install for the purposes of testing out updates etc, and didn't install the Korg USB drivers on it (I totally forgot about them, and they showed up and worked anyhow). This Windows install didn't show any issues with Cakewalk or the Korg Kontrol Editor.

So I had a look at the Device Manager, and they were set to USB Audio Device.

• Like 2

OK,this sounds good. However, I'm struggling.......

I found "Korg nanoKontrol Studio" listed under Sound, video and game controllers.  I selected update driver and was advised that the best driver was already installed.  Where do I find the list to change to "USB Audio Device"

Thanks for any help!

I'd do a quick video, but my Studio PC is busy backing up at the moment.

So...

• Right Click on the device, select "Update Driver"
  • Click "Browse my computer for driver software"
  • Click "Pick from a list of available drivers on my computer"

At that point, you should have a list of drivers. It should show at least one Korg driver, and "USB Audio Device" at the bottom.

• Click on "USB Audio Device", and click Next.

If it's still not letting you pick from the list, try the following:

• Uninstall the KORG USB driver software

The try the "Update Driver" steps again.

If it's STILL not letting you pick...

• Go back into device manager
  • Right click on the device, select "Uninstall device"
  • Click on "Uninstall device" on the confirmation box
  • Check the box to uninstall all the driver software
  • Once it's uninstalled, unplug your device.
  • Reboot your PC
  • Plug it back in, then go through the "Update Driver" steps.

Right, thank you so much for the detailed instructions.  I was able to use the Korg Kontrol Editor - great!

However, in order to use the nanoKontrol Studio in CbB I had to switch the driver back to the Korg one.  It;s no biggie, I can live with that, but is there something else I should have done/can do?

Thanks again for the help so far!

I actually went a step further after uninstalling the drivers, and deleted the Korg driver files from c:\windows\system32\drivers and c:\windows\system32.

I didn't think this was necessary from what I could tell at the time though. I didn't want to recommend this as it seemed a bit brute force, and the last thing I wanted was to suggest something that might break someone's system. 

If the drivers are working for you, that's the main thing.