Steinberg Instrument of the Month - The Grand

cclarry

...just another quick thought on this:

Steinberg have publicly announced "The End" of the elicenser.   They have suggested that the elicenser servers will be switched off in the next couple of years.  

This means that you elicenser will still work but you won't be able to sell or transfer your licenses after that.  Also if your elicenser breaks...tough...you lose those licences.

They haven't been at all clear about what software will be updated to work with the new licensing scheme but they have said that 'legacy' (whatever that means) software WILL NOT be updated to use it...this includes ALL previous cubase/nuendo versions.

I've a LOT of Steinberg licences and I'm willing to bet that most will not make it to the new licensing system, hope I'm wrong but I suspect not.    And Steinberg 'may' have a change of heart.

I'm not trying to scare monger  but it's worth bearing this in mind if you buy anything by Steinberg it's worth factoring this in.  Two years isn't as long as you think ......

(see also my rants about dropping VST2 support :) ) 

17 minutes ago, simon said:

...just another quick thought on this:

Steinberg have publicly announced "The End" of the elicenser.   They have suggested that the elicenser servers will be switched off in the next couple of years.  

This means that you elicenser will still work but you won't be able to sell or transfer your licenses after that.  Also if your elicenser breaks...tough...you lose those licences.

They haven't been at all clear about what software will be updated to work with the new licensing scheme but they have said that 'legacy' (whatever that means) software WILL NOT be updated to use it...this includes ALL previous cubase/nuendo versions.

I've a LOT of Steinberg licences and I'm willing to bet that most will not make it to the new licensing system, hope I'm wrong but I suspect not.    And Steinberg 'may' have a change of heart.

I'm not trying to scare monger  but it's worth bearing this in mind if you buy anything by Steinberg it's worth factoring this in.  Two years isn't as long as you think ......

(see also my rants about dropping VST2 support :) ) 

The elicenser stuff will be handle via comp from then , this is what a rep told me , so basically , it will be like transfering elicencer stuff to comp and the do what you want ....

2 hours ago, Zo said:

The elicenser stuff will be handle via comp from then , this is what a rep told me , so basically , it will be like transfering elicencer stuff to comp and the do what you want ....

....but that would require updates to the various plugins etc to read the licences from the new licensing software rather than the dongle.  They have explicitly ruled this out for the existing cubase/nuendo/wavelab (v11 and below) range and other 'legacy' apps/plugins so I can't see them updating things like The Grand - I'd be happy to be wrong of course.  Most of those apps haven't been updated in ages.

At this point the only things that have been released with the new licencing scheme are Dorico 4 and Halion Sonic SE.

There are some posts on the steinberg forums detailing some of this and as I say, things may change/develop.  Personally I think that SB will be forced to keep those elicencer servers running for much much longer than they are admitting.

Steinberg's argument is that the legacy stuff will continue to run fine with the dongle, even when the elicenser servers are switched off.......as long as the dongle keeps working and as long as you don't want to transfer or sell.

Edited by simon