M-TRACK DUO - PROBLEMS

Milton Sica

Question

I have a Tascam US-600 that has already been discontinued and I purchased this interface. I did some tests and comparing with the Tascam and I came to the conclusion that the Tascam, even discontinued, is much better and has much more features than the M-Track DUO. I have resumed using the Tascam in the studio and am using the M-Track Duo only to record external work and respecting the simple specifications of the equipment.

Some problems I found in the comparison:

1) When commanding the recording of a track, a click is inserted. That's why I couldn't command the recording at a time closer to where it will start. I had to command before and after to remove the click from the recording.

2) In the middle of recording using a condenser microphone SAMSON - C01 Studio Condenser, noises are generated at random times, as a kind of saturation (all care with proximity, cables, etc. has been taken). It seems to be something from M-Track, because when I record with Tascam it doesn't happen.

3) I had a lot of problems recording instruments with my Keystation 49es due to latency when recording with effects. I was only able to "zero" the latency when recording without effects in the project. On the other hand, I started to verify that when recording MIDI, several Pitch and Modulation commands are inserted without me having moved any of the controls on the equipment.

Anyway. I know there are several related situations, but they all appeared only after I installed the M-Track Duo whose hope was to overcome a discontinued interface like the Tascam US-600 to which I returned and resumed my projects.

I appreciate if the friends of the forum can bring their opinions.

19 answers to this question

56 minutes ago, Milton Sica said:

Thanks for replying, but do you think that's just the explanation: price?

How hot are you going into it?

I actually had one, but can't recall ever experiencing this. Had it for two months and sold it, I think i was unhappy with connection cables I had to get, 1/4jacks (Duo) to XLR (Monitors.) It sounded decent at the time for the Home Studio. 

• Thanks 1

It might be fine, and I could be wrong but it's an old saying- You get what you pay for. The Behringer UMC 22 comes to mind as well. Both are sort of Mac oriented companies so the devices work great on a Mac but Windows and Cakewalk tend to be more picky about drivers. 

Have you done all the proper ASIO driver set up including what you might want to set in Windows. Make sure there's no other drivers like Asio4all and Real tech etc. The Tascam driver will not interfere but make sure the M audio driver is showing in all the boxes in your audio preferences settings and especially the sync and cashing timing box. 

Make sure to use this driver    https://m-audio.com/support/drivers  

Edited by John Vere
Update video
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, John Vere said:

John

Thanks a lot for the help.
Yes I have the M-track drivers correctly installed.
The video you attached is excellent and a tremendous way to get the interface installed.
I don't really know what's going on.
I thought the latency when recording instruments via my midi keyboard would be improved, but it remained the same as it had with the Tascam.
I don't agree that the issue is just the price of the interfaces, because if the equipment establishes that it can record with the settings it says it has, there shouldn't be many of the problems I found.
I don't know if it wouldn't be a matter of Cakewalk's own "relationship" with the Asio drivers of the interfaces. This is beyond my technical technical knowledge involved.

Edited by Milton Sica

17 minutes ago, Milton Sica said:

I thought the latency when recording instruments via my midi keyboard would be improved, but it remained the same as it had with the Tascam.

USB ports and cables also play a small role in this, so try a different USB port. I think the DUO is use USB2.0 ports. You could also try this with your TASCAM. 

Were you recording vocals? 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Will_Kaydo said:

USB ports and cables also play a small role in this, so try a different USB port. I think the DUO is use USB2.0 ports. You could also try this with your TASCAM. 

Were you recording vocals? 

Thanks.
Yes I record vocals and the virtual instruments with my keystation 49es keyboard. I only get "zero" latency when turning effects off.
This on both interfaces.
Both interfaces are connected to USB 2.0 ports.
I don't know if in fact it's not a matter of Cakewalk integration with the Asio drivers of each interface.

21 minutes ago, Milton Sica said:

I don't know if in fact it's not a matter of Cakewalk integration with the Asio drivers of each interface.

Maybe. Try switching on Direct Monitoring on the DUO.

What happens if you lower the size of your sample buffer size in the interface's settings? That will also cut down latency times.

Factors that can introduce latency, are your CPU, the current DSP/processor load, your interface, interface driver quality, sample buffer size, your USB chain and sample rates. 

Also try lowering your project sample rate to 48000/24bit and do some tests. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo
  • Great Idea 1

M Audio M Track Duo- $ 140 Can.  ( I was wrong about the $70, that was on E Bay )  So it's around the same price as a Focusrite Solo, Presonus Audiobox 96 or a Tascam 2x2 all which are excellent interfaces. M Audio has been around a long time I have a Fast Track Pro sitting on the self. The drivers are outdated like your Tascam. 

Looking in the specs -This is not clear if it has Direct monitoring or not.  

• USB/Direct Mono/Direct Stereo switch for monitoring mic, line or instrument inputs in stereo or mono

Can you hear your DAW playback and the Mike input in the headphones without turning on Input echo?  

The switch looks like it's either your input in mono or stereo or the USB but not both? That's very odd. I didn't think anybody made an interface these days without direct monitoring. FYI- Direct Monitoring = hearing the direct signal from your input mixed with the DAW playback. This results in Zero latency.  This means you can record latency free at any buffer setting. But higher buffers equal more Round trip latency and you will not be able to use Input echo. 

Noises in recordings can be caused by DPC interupting your audio streaming,  run this tool to check- https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

They can also be caused by dropouts because you're using too low a buffer setting. 

Also if you have effects in the project that are CPU intensive.  I always by pass effects while recording by using the global bypass button.  

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Will_Kaydo said:

Maybe. Try switching on Direct Monitoring on the DUO.

What happens if you lower the size of your sample buffer size in the interface's settings? That will also cut down latency times.

Factors that can introduce latency, are your CPU, the current DSP/processor load, your interface, interface driver quality, sample buffer size, your USB chain and sample rates. 

Also try lowering your project sample rate to 48000/24bit and do some tests. 

Thanks.
I always record 44100/16 as I always export in that configuration;
I didn't really understand the meaning of these 3 types of monitoring, because I didn't notice any kind of changes even increasing monitoring volumes via headphones or an external monitor.

• USB/Direct Mono/Direct Stereo switch for monitoring mic, line or instrument inputs in stereo or mono

I use active monitors, but the monitoring of the button itself, even at level 10, I found very low.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Milton Sica said:

Thanks.
I always record 44100/16 as I always export in that configuration;
I didn't really understand the meaning of these 3 types of monitoring, because I didn't notice any kind of changes even increasing monitoring volumes via headphones or an external monitor.

I use active monitors, but the monitoring of the button itself, even at level 10, I found very low.

Direct Monitor puts the Interface in Zero Latancy. 

Sorry, I can't help any further on this matter. Which I knew what was really wrong, but at this moment it's a guessing game. I personally didn't experience any of the above problems mentioned in the OP. 

I too, use active monitors and only experienced about -3dB difference when Direct monitoring was enabled. Its not really something i (personally) would ever need. This being said: There was a difference other than the -3bB decrease in volume. Even with the Apollo twin which I use on the Mac its there. 

All I can think of now is to try and clean out you fans in your system. Grab a brand new paint brush, remove the cpu fans and dust them off also check some USB HUBS (if you're using any.)  Also, replace some thermal paste. Your latancy might be related to something else and not Cakewalk or your Interface. 

You'll get it to work right, im sure. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John Vere said:

USB/Direct Mono/Direct Stereo switch for monitoring mic, line or instrument inputs in stereo or mono

That is actually the direct monitor buttons. Don't know why they took this route with it.

Theres actually no difference between them other than it is placing the signal in either Mono/ Stereo for "Direct Monitoring in Zero Latancy" with the USB switch being the pure system signal. 

• Thanks 2

Actually now I see this switch is unique because it has the mono option a handy dandy idea.
Still a Blend controller that you can select any amount of either input or playback works best. 

I find the switch system found on many interfaces a comprising feature. You then have to turn down your master buss if the playback is louder than your input. 

This switch is the same but adding the mono option at least is a nice option that I’ve never run across before. 

• Like 1

Ya. In my video on Shopping for an interface I thought I’d covered just about every possible feature but that’s one I missed because I’ve never heard of it before.

But I do recommend the on/ off switch. 

Anyhow at this point re reading the thread my conclusion is. 

This interface is probably as good as any in its price range.
With that comes higher RTL (round trip latency.) My guess is in the 20 ms range at a safe buffer of 256ms. 

RTL does not matter if you use direct monitoring. It only is noticeable when you turn on Input Echo on an audio track while recording.

Solution is Turn off input echo and use direct monitoring. 

In the OP there’s also a mention of Midi latency which is common if your latency gets increased by using certain effects.

Solution bypass the effects while recording. 
 If your interested in a little educational material on these topics here are some of my videos that explain clearly how to set up and record both audio an midi. 

Edited by John Vere
Update video

It looks like none of these videos are available anymore. Such a pity. Cakewalk just freezes when I arm the track to start recording using my new Mtrack Solo. I can hear the music during playback only but at soon as I arm a track for recording and hit that record button nothing happens - it just sits...

21 minutes ago, Len van den berg said:

It looks like none of these videos are available anymore. Such a pity. Cakewalk just freezes when I arm the track to start recording using my new Mtrack Solo. I can hear the music during playback only but at soon as I arm a track for recording and hit that record button nothing happens - it just sits...

That’s because this is an old thread and I deleted all my videos a year ago for various technical reasons. I have since updated some of them and I updated the links just now this is the playlist