Project file grows exponentially

JayCee99

Hi all.

i have the strange problem, that my project file (cwp) grows exponentially from saving to saving.

First I wondered, why loading and saving of my project needs more and more time. Then I checked the system memory with the task manager. It was around 14 GB. So I decided to buy more ram. But no improvements. Finally I checked the project file. It had a size of 800 MB meanwhile.

I thought the reason was the latest cakewalk version. So  rolled back to 11/2021. I restarted from an earlier point of the project. But  the project file keeps growing. 

Now I am at a loss. I hope someone has an idea. I uploaded some project files to wetransfer:

https://we.tl/t-b5rrSB0Cl2

Thanks in advance for your support.

First 800 MB is not unreasonable for projects with Audio. 
It’s not hard to add up quickly especially if your recording at higher sample rates. 
Cakewalk keeps all your audio even if you delete it from the project. Comping mode can end up with hundreds of audio files stored in the folder. Open it and look. 
One way to clean up audio is to use “Save As “ to a new location and check the copy audio box. 

Most of us use a second larger hard drive for project files so storage management is never an issue. 

You should work with video if you want to chomp through the GB’s. Audio is a light weight compared to that 

A project file is just the cwp, so the audio isn't in it.  A plugin might store audio (samples?) in the project but not the raw audio: my projects, with soft-synths and audio, come in at a few MB.  So 800MB is...odd.

@JayCee99 - looks like the culprit is Raum, particularly the one on the Vocals bus.   Its plugin state is doubling in size every time it's saved. 

If you delete the 3 instances of Raum out of the project, the project file is 5MB again.

The issue is definitely with the plugin.  I'd recommend raising this with Native Instruments.

• Thanks 1