How To Get Patch Changes Visible On Channel When Changing On Midi Synth

alan933

Question

I have my patches for my synth loaded in the ini files and they are all able to be selected in Cakewak.

When I select a patch in cakewalk on the channel, it reflects on my synth.

But, when I change the patch on the synth, I do hear it change in cakewalk and it records the change but the indicator on the channel doesn't change.

So, what have to do if I want to store the patch on that channel, I have to either pop open the menu which isn't always the same bank, or , easier, search the patch in Patch Browser and select it.

Why don't patch changes on synth reflect in Cakewalk? I have "Patch Changes" selected in Preferences - Midi - Play Record - Rec ord.

In this example I change the patch change knob on the synth but in Cakewalk it keeps showing  "Accoustic Grand".

image.thumb.png.e442714fe0b9890d7de2a014cc9b9b99.png

4 answers to this question

1 hour ago, alan933 said:

I have my patches for my synth loaded in the ini files and they are all able to be selected in Cakewak.

When I select a patch in cakewalk on the channel, it reflects on my synth.

But, when I change the patch on the synth, I do hear it change in cakewalk and it records the change but the indicator on the channel doesn't change.

So, what have to do if I want to store the patch on that channel, I have to either pop open the menu which isn't always the same bank, or , easier, search the patch in Patch Browser and select it.

Why don't patch changes on synth reflect in Cakewalk? I have "Patch Changes" selected in Preferences - Midi - Play Record - Rec ord.

In this example I change the patch change knob on the synth but in Cakewalk it keeps showing  "Accoustic Grand".

The location your red arrow is pointing to is only the initial patch that the MIDI track is set to.  Any subsequent patch changes do not change this displayed value.

Maybe put in a feature request to display the most recent patch change for a given track - I am thinking the PRV would be a good place to display this.

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/forum/8-feedback-loop/

• Like 1

As well as defining the instruments within your ins file, you also need to map which hardware MIDI port  is routed to that hardware synth, e.g.  below I have my Focusrite MIDI Output (all channels) routed to a Korg Triton:

image.png.b69b2e68702ca0106d688baae875ce52.png

Once this is done, the Bank & Patch dropdown will match the instrument definition when a MIDI track is routed to that port.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, msmcleod said:

As well as defining the instruments within your ins file, you also need to map which hardware MIDI port  is routed to that hardware synth, e.g.  below I have my Focusrite MIDI Output (all channels) routed to a Korg Triton:

image.png.b69b2e68702ca0106d688baae875ce52.png

Once this is done, the Bank & Patch dropdown will match the instrument definition when a MIDI track is routed to that port.

Thanks I already have this done. If you notice above the port shows E-Mu Pro.

18 hours ago, Promidi said:

The location your red arrow is pointing to is only the initial patch that the MIDI track is set to.  Any subsequent patch changes do not change this displayed value.

Maybe put in a feature request to display the most recent patch change for a given track - I am thinking the PRV would be a good place to display this.

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/forum/8-feedback-loop/

Ok , it doesn't have that feature yet which is good to know.  Thanks, good suggestion.