Cakewalk driver not letting go on program close

jono grant

Hey, pretty much 100% of the time, when I close Cakewalk, it doesn't quite release the driver or something and is still open in device manager. I have to "end task" most times to open a new file.

Why is that? I do have a fair amount of UAD plugins going in most sessions, but close down should just close down I would think.

Anyone know about this?

Cheers

27 minutes ago, bdickens said:

That can happen with buggy or obsolete drivers. It can also happen if if a plug-in or something is not closing correctly.

So to test open a project with out those plug ins and see if it closes properly. It’s always a process of elimination to troubleshoot “what or why” 

Its not Cakewalk itself, it’s almost always a plug in. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, John Vere said:

So to test open a project with out those plug ins and see if it closes properly. It’s always a process of elimination to troubleshoot “what or why” 

Its not Cakewalk itself, it’s almost always a plug in. 

The thing I'm noticing in task manager, is I close CW, and in task manager, it shows the amount of ram CW is using. That number goes down to zero. That's when I can re open a file. So the ram remains loaded after closing. hmmmmm

On 2/2/2022 at 9:45 PM, bitflipper said:

What John was suggesting was creating a new project with NO plugins. If that closes properly - as it probably will - start adding in plugins to determine which one is causing the hang. Disabling a plugin does not unload it.

Thanks, yes, for sure. I'm noticing it has something to do with releasing the RAM that is loaded up. I see it still loaded in task manager after I quit a session. The RAM amount then decreases and when it's at zero I can open Cakewalk again.   

Careful not to confuse correlation with causation. Plugins use RAM, too. As they are unloaded, they will release whatever memory they had needed to run. What you are probably seeing is the last plugin unloading after a long delay. That plugin is probably your elusive villain.

• Like 2