Received 48/16 .wav but project and other instruments are 44.1/24

Michael Fogarty

So yes, what is the best way to go about this? Do I need to import into Sound Forge and change them all. Its 5 songs and a lot of 9 channel drum takes.  Or, do I import just the drum files into a separate song file and render them all as 44.1/24. (or can I use them as is mixed with the other files 44.1/24?)  The drummer was in a new location, his ADAT had problems and he must have accident switched it. I was actually there for most of the takes but it was his computer/interface as I came late.  We are talking 100's of .wavs.
Thank you.

Edited by Michael Fogarty
clarity

No need to convert the files before importing into CbB.

During import, CbB converts the files as needed for the project.

All the clips in a project must be the same sample rate but bit depth may vary.

Sample rate conversion in CbB is pretty good.

The actual bit depth used for import is controlled by the Import Bit Depth setting in Preferences > File > Audio Data

The default Import Bit Depth is Original meaning the bit depth will not change during import. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scook said:

No need to convert the files before importing into CbB.

During import, CbB converts the files as needed for the project.

All the clips in a project must be the same sample rate but bit depth may vary.

Sample rate conversion in CbB is pretty good.

The actual bit depth used for import is controlled by the Import Bit Depth setting in Preferences > File > Audio Data

The default Import Bit Depth is Original meaning the bit depth will not change during import. 

ok, great. Thank you. Question 2. If received as .bun files, is there a shorter way to get them to 44.1/24 than opening the .bun and exporting them as 44.1/24 raw .wav?

23 hours ago, scook said:

No need to export; copy and paste tracks.

Open the bun and the target project.

Select and copy the tracks from the bun project to the target project,

Make sure to have a good backup of the target project, just in case.

hi there. Tried this and said the project audio doesn't match the sample rate.

Sorry, I don't see how it was possible to follow the suggested copy process in my previous post without generating an error. Copy/paste requires the clips in the clipboard to be the target project's sample rate.

Exporting the bun contents may be the easiest solution (it is the documented method too) either tracks or BWF.

3 hours ago, David Baay said:

Assuming the clips all start at 00:00:00:00, you can just open the bundle, save it as a project, and drag the audio files from the audio folder into the target project.

David does that work? I thought of that and almost tried it but wasn’t sure it would work.  With all the cuts, punch ins,  and 5 takes x 10 tracks of drums (for 5 songs)  I was a bit timid and treading lightly. My question being, how do I know it will line up to the right track when dragging to the target project (kick in, kick out, hat, sn top, sn bot, oh L, Oh R, tom 1,2,3). It will just automatically find its place?

11 hours ago, John Vere said:

My video shows you how to use the export dialogue to change sample rate of audio 

14 hours ago, scook said:

Sorry, I don't see how it was possible to follow the suggested copy process in my previous post without generating an error. Copy/paste requires the clips in the clipboard to be the target project's sample rate.

Exporting the bun contents may be the easiest solution (it is the documented method too) either tracks or BWF.

here was my final process. There were 5 takes of the song beginning to end times 10 tracks. I made a composite of the best takes of each section, and exported at 44/16. (I saw no reason to change the 16 to 24.) 

Thanks everyone. I’ll post the first song in the song forum soon.

I missed that there were multiple takes over time. Files for contiguous clips that start at 00:00:00:00 can be easily dropped at the beginning of their respective tracks with snap enabled, and all is good. But you would first have to bounce the takes in each track to a single clip in the source project and at that point you might as well export them.

Ya the new export dialogue is brilliant for stuff like this. You have total control over what the files will be including start finish, sample rate, bit depth, stereo, mono, wave , MP3 as well as selecting which tracks and if automation or effects are applied to the export. 
I have used it over and over converting old projects to 48 as well as to create continuous tracks out of chopped up clips so I can use audio snap

13 hours ago, Michael Fogarty said:

here was my final process. There were 5 takes of the song beginning to end times 10 tracks. I made a composite of the best takes of each section, and exported at 44/16. (I saw no reason to change the 16 to 24.) 

That's a pretty good solution.

One thing to consider is adding quick mix of the original project for reference.