Sustain Pedal Not Working - Recognized with MIDI Ox - Help!

Juice Man

Hello,

I hope that you all are doing well. For some reason my sustain pedal has suddenly stopped working in the Sonar DAW. I ran MIDI Ox to see if the pedal itself is working. It is. However it reads "portamento" instead of "sustain". I have attached a screen capture from MIDI Ox to this post. 

The MIDI light meter lights up in Sonar when I press the pedal, but nothing is happening. The pedal also works with my analog devices. 

Can someone help me out? It also isn't working with Kontakt. 

Thanks!

Immagine 2022-01-23 195719.png

Is the CC for the pedal configurable?  If it previously also output 0x41, were you using a map to change it to 0x40?  Maybe a map got changed?

Also: how is the pedal getting into your PC [i.e., what gear]? Maybe that's where the mapping was done and somehow it got changed?

Edited by User 905133

I have it set like yours, but it's still acting strange. If I choose a piano voice, for example, the notes will mute when I press the pedal. Then when I release the pedal, they will sustain. It is working backwards. Very odd. Any other suggestions?

Immagine 2022-01-23 203909.png

Most sustain pedals have a switch so you can configure it as either momentary-on or momentary-off. It can sometimes get accidentally toggled.

Another thing that happens a lot with sus pedals is that the microswitch connected to the pedal can fail or become intermittent. Switches are rated for a given number of activations, and sustain pedals activate them a lot.

Another common problem is broken TS connectors. If yours unscrews (as opposed to being molded), take a look inside at the connections.

If you have an ohmmeter you can easily test the output of the pedal. You should measure an open circuit until the pedal is depressed, at which time the resistance will fall to zero or near-zero ohms.

Fortunately, sustain pedals are fairly cheap. I'd just be inclined to get a new one. If it turns out to not be the problem, you'll still have a backup for the day when it does eventually fail.

[EDIT] :D we were typing at the same time. Glad you got it sorted.

4 hours ago, Justin Curfman said:

You won't believe this...
Someone simply flipped the polarity switch without me knowing. 😂
I flipped it back to standard mode. How embarrassing!
Thank you all for your help, regardless! Too kind!

I believe it.  Stuff like that happens!!!!